Using coolant and lugging bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Using coolant and lugging bad

I know I posted this in the 6.0 section but I want to know how drivable it is. Well I was hoping I would never have to post here but the yesterday I took my buddy for a ride and at first it was all good, everything felt normal. But about 5 minuets in I could feel it start to lug/lope bad untill about 2k RPM. It was also blowing black smoke on the stock tune. When I pulled into the driveway I noticed the coolant that was left was boiling. This morning I put a whole bottle of coolant in for the hour drive back home. The truck didnt lug or blow any smoke or anything but by the time I got home I had used no coolant but there was a good bit of pressure in the system. What was going on with it yesterday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM

As a general rule of thumb for you, coolant consumption accompanied by smoke is generally an egr cooler and oil cooler or blown head gaskets. both may not show any type of drivability concerns except for when towing, when some lack of power may be felt. do you have an egr delete or head studs? i notice it is the egr cooler far more often. i'd recommend removing your egr valve (at the front of intake 2 8 mm bolts than use pry bars to work it out) then have someone start your truck while shining a light in the port. the second o ring port is for the cooler, if you notice any type of liquid present while engine is running your egr cooler is likely at fault. but let me know what kind of diagnostic equipment you have and i'll help further.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM

There are no gaskets that I will need to replace once I pull the EGR valve correct? Saturday im planning on pulling it and cleaning it. The truck is not constantly smoking/lugging. It only did it one more time since then and has not used any coolant since so that is a sign that its just the valve correct? If it were the cooler wouldnt it constantly smoke/lug?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 PM

the egr valve does have two o rings and a gaskets, but i have reused them with no issues. and it is rarely just a valve issue. if it is slowing down more this could be a headgasket issue too as that tends to consume more under heavy boost pressures. from my experience if it is smoking white its egr cooler, head gaskets, or injectors. and remember if your egr cooler is blown it was caused by a restricted oil cooler so that'll need to be replaced too.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 AM

I assume since there are no more posts since the 31st, you must have figured out what the problem was. Since you mentioned that it was blowing black smoke and overheating in your initial post, I'm curious what you found.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Ended up being the egr cooler/oil cooler. Turned out that my #3 injector was also bad so im pretty sure that's what attributed to the black smoke

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.