2000 7.3 Cranks wont start... yes another one. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 Cranks wont start... yes another one.

So here is the story:

About a week ago I was towing a buddy's truck and I felt a slight loss of power. I immediately checked the oil level and noted it was about 3 quarts low. I filled it up and continued driving. Then I got home about 20 minutes later I checked the oil again and it was again low. I looked around a little more and noticed that I had a leaky rear plug o-ring on my HPOP and there was oil in the valley. So I cleaned it up and I replaced the o-ring and this fixed my leak. I put in about 2 quarts and didn't think anything of it. My gf used the truck and drove about 30 minutes away and then back with no problems. When she was leaving the house again while I was at work she got about 3 blocks away and the truck 'acted like it ran out of diesel and died" and would not start. Her brother was with her and he checked the oil and figured it was about 2 quarts low but there was no oil in the valley.
now I crank it over for anywhere from 5-15 seconds and it just cranks. Fuse 22 is good, I see oil pressure after about 3-5 seconds of cranking, and I see the tac move. The oil is about 5 months old but has see almost no miles since I have been on deployment where it was not driven only started for 10-20 minutes every other week. I have not changed teh CPS yet but it seems to me that this wont fix the problem since.... I drained the fuel bowl partially when it died to see if there was any fuel in it, two days later after trying to crank it a few times each day the fuel bowl is at the same level. I emptied the fuel bowl completely today and tried to crank it again with the fuel filter re-installed and the fuel bowl didn't fill back up. Thinking maybe the tank is empty I put another 5 gallons in the tank and tried to start it again numerous times with no change. After about 5-8 seconds of cranking the sound changes tone and it seems like it is trying to fire but there is no fuel.

PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

With the fuel filter out and key turned to on, does the bowl fill? Not cranking, just key on.
If not, it's a fuel pump issue probably.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure that will work though....

As you install the filter element, you depress a spring that opens the inlet so fuel can enter the bowl (this is a safety feature to stop anyone from running the engine without a filter installed).

You DO need to confirm that you have fuel delivery. When you first roll-on the key, you should be able to, at least, feel the pump running. If so, then use the "Water Drain" to empty the bowl (runs out the metal tube, against the motor, above the pass tire) then, cycle the key (15sec ON then OFF) 3 times. Open that drain (Yellow Lever) and see what comes out. If you don't see a bowl-full of fuel then you have to find out why...

If the pump's not running, check the Inertia SW (pass kick-panel) and then the fuses.

Do you get a WTS Light?
Are you below 1/4 tank?
How old is your filter?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Like I said in my OP, I get the WTS, I was at the 1/4 tank mark and put an additional 3-4 gallons in and I checked the fuses.
I took the "safety feature" out of the filter bowl, no change there. I tried cranking and just cycling the key with no change. How to I check the inertia switch? What does it do? Thanks for the help guys I'll go check all the fuses again.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, a coupla things,,,

First, so you're still not getting fuel to the bowl - right? Is the pump running or not?

The Inertia SW is another safety feature, should the truck roll-over (or like that) it cuts power to the pump so as not to contribute to a fire. It's prone to unplugging itself or maybe tripping when it's not supposed to. In the Pass kickpanel, at the top, you'll find that sw (look in the manual maybe for a pic)

Sorry I missed the WTS, but because the pump is controlled by the PCM it's important to know the PCM is running...

At a 1/4 tank, things can happen there if the in-tank mixing valve craps out (not uncommon) allowing air to be sucked instead of fuel. Adding 3-4gal May or MayNot be the solution if you're not parked level. These are pretty big tanks and adding just 10% isn't really proving much. I'd put another 5gal in to be sure that's not the problem (more if you're on a hill, it might be a pain to do but it's not like it's going to waste )

Edit: Wait a min,,, I just reread the OP, I don't see where you say anything about the WTS..... Also, with Tach movement I wouldn't be thinking CPS either

Last edited by NoRalPh; 05-27-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Well don't I feel like an A$$. I could have sworn I wrote that in my OP. Well just in case I forgot anything here are the symptoms again:

WTS Light comes on and then goes off after 5 sec or so.
Fuse 22 is good (along with all other fuses in both fuse blocks)
No fuel in the fuel bowl, even after cycling the switch on and off 3 times for 15 seconds.
Inertia sw is good (not tripped or unplugged)
I do hear humming and feel a vibration when i put my hand on the in rail pump.
Still no fuel in the bowl even after adding another 5 gallons to it.

I don't know if it helps to add that I broke the fuel regulator cap on the side of the fuel bowl and had to replace it but still can't get the threaded piece out of the return line to hook it up properly. (this was after the truck died though)

Last edited by CaseyJ; 05-27-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: removed a dumb question cause the answer was there...
Old 05-27-2012, 06:19 PM

At this point I'd get a FULL tank of diesel.
I would try getting fuel up front then.
No fuel, take off the line right after the pump, and see if anything is coming out of it there.
Try taking off BOTH lines and just see if the pump will pull any fuel out of a container right next to it and see if it puts anything out, all while verifying it is getting the correct 12V it needs.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:32 PM

I guess I will be trying that tomorrow
Old 05-30-2012, 07:28 PM

UPDATE!

OK, so I finally got a chance to get some more troubleshooting done.
The fuel pump (in the frame rail) does not pump fuel, but it is not that simple.
When I disconnected the fuel lines from the pump diesel poured out of both ends, then when the residual drained out of the high side the tank side continued to stream out (gravity) so I tied it up out of the way. when I turned the key over with lines running from a glass bottle full of diesel to a plastic jug, nothing came out.
I removed the pump from the frame rail and hooked it up to the battery charger at 12v 2A and ran it forward and backwards. In reverse it moved more air and spit out a decent amount of diesel. When I ran it forward it wouldn't draw any suction or even really exhibit signs of moving anything.
My questions are as follows:
1. Does the pump need to be primed?
2 If yes, how is this accomplished?
3. Should the in-tank pump be supplying fuel to the pump?
4. Is my tank shot, or can it be tested anywhere??

Thanks for the help so far guys!
Casey
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM

There is one pump, the one you have pulled off.
If you put 12V directly to it and it won't pull fuel out of a bottle, it's dunskies. It primes itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.