tired 6.4 needs replaced HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tired 6.4 needs replaced HELP!

I purchased my 2008 6.4 powerstroke with 136,000 miles 2 months ago. In the past two months, its been in the shop 5 times for a total of around $5000. First was a bad fuel line. had to lift the cab to replace. the other 4 times were broken rocker arms and bent push rods. I'm tired of fooling with it and have decided to replace the whole engine. I figure it needing a valve job and the possibility of metal shavings working their way down to the bottom end justifies the extra money. Where's the best place to get a crate engine? Also, I need to know EXACTLY what all it comes with and what I would have to reuse. I make my money with this truck by hauling my landscaping equipment so the longer it's down, the more money I lose. I appreciate any and all help. I need this beast fixed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

tyler, as far as what they come with it depends on what you order. if you order a bare block it will come with roatating assembly and nothing else. enhance short block usually comes with the block, front cover, rear cover and oil cooler on some. long block will come with everything an enhanced short block has but with the addition of rockers, valves, heads, injectors, valve covers. a complete assembly generally comes with deep breath... engine, heads, injectors, both turbo's, oil cooler, vertical and horizontal egr coolers, front and rear cover, up pipes, intake, fuel bowl, oil pan, oil standpipe, and all sensors. the only thing you will have to transfer over is the wiring harness, and those don't have very many problems.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM

I'd just buy another truck with the $10k you're going to spend on a new engine. Use it for work and fix exactly what's wrong w/ your current engine
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokemyego View Post
tyler, as far as what they come with it depends on what you order. if you order a bare block it will come with roatating assembly and nothing else. enhance short block usually comes with the block, front cover, rear cover and oil cooler on some. long block will come with everything an enhanced short block has but with the addition of rockers, valves, heads, injectors, valve covers. a complete assembly generally comes with deep breath... engine, heads, injectors, both turbo's, oil cooler, vertical and horizontal egr coolers, front and rear cover, up pipes, intake, fuel bowl, oil pan, oil standpipe, and all sensors. the only thing you will have to transfer over is the wiring harness, and those don't have very many problems.
Thanks for the info. So, if i ordered from Black Water Engines, I would get a complete longblock. But, if i ordered from Performance Machine Mfg., I would get EVERYTHING?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM

If it was me I would pull the old motor looking for bad parts and replace whats needed or...........I would just keep the original motor but strip it down and rebuild it with performance parts, would still be cheaper than a new motor
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanGTyler View Post
Thanks for the info. So, if i ordered from Black Water Engines, I would get a complete longblock. But, if i ordered from Performance Machine Mfg., I would get EVERYTHING?
your welcome. and that depends on what you actually order. but that engine is very expensive. if your really worried about it i'd just replace the rotating assembly, valvetrain, high pressure pump, and the injectors. those are the biggest problems with the 6.4, other than coolant leaks
Old 06-11-2012, 04:58 AM

My long blocks include block, heads and rocker boxes complete with all new internals for under $6K. If you live in a state with no emissions testing I wiold add an EGR delete kit to your new engine.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
My long blocks include block, heads and rocker boxes complete with all new internals for under $6K. If you live in a state with no emissions testing I wiold add an EGR delete kit to your new engine.
i've never seen an egr delete on a 6.4l they don't have much problems with the coolers but i'm curious how it works for that, just a bypass tube through both the horizontal and vertical? oh and under 6k for a long block is a steal! come with injectors?
Old 06-12-2012, 05:00 AM

If you look around at some of the posts on here you will read that there are some people having issues with the EGR Coolers on the 6.4L which causes a some of the same issues with the engines that the 6.0L had. I'm gearing up right now to get an ad on this site and I'm in the process of setting up a second shop which will exclusively remanufacture the 6.4L.
Once I have everything in place, I'll probably market the 6.4 long block for around $6,495but I'll move the first half dozen out the door about $500.00 cheaper just to get the flow going. No worry about the quality of the product, all my guys are ASE Certified techs. The 6.0L long block that I sell is on my web site and the 6.4L will be the same. Block, heads, and rocker boxes. No injectors or other "external" parts that you can swap over from your old engine. I've got core engines on the way now so I can have the first ones ready in about two weeks.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:07 AM

Sorry, I forgot to address the EGR Delete question as far as the design. You can see one on the FLOPRO.com web site under heir "what's new" section.
I also just talked to a buddy of mine and he can get me a reman 6.4 within about 7 days if you need one right away. $5,995. plus shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.