01 Excursion No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 Excursion No start

I have an 01 psd excursion that died on the way home last night.. Cranks but won't start. It is getting the p0603 code Keep alive error. It has started 2 times today after long cool down periods. It will run for about 5 min. and then shut off. No funny sounds or anything, just shuts off. Then won't start again for several hours. I am getting fuel and have replaced the cps. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those actually sound like classic CPS symptoms. How long ago did you get the CPS changed (replacing the Black one with the new Grey)? Maybe it has died?

The P603 isn't really anything to be concerned with... it's just telling you that, at some point, the PCM went unpowered (like from disconnecting the batteries)

Does your Instrument Cluster contain a Trans Temp Gauge (the electrical system got upgraded in '01)? If NOT, you should see the tach move up slightly as you crank it on the starter. This is a Test for a functioning CPS. If it DOES, the tach isn't supposed to move...

What are you using to pull codes? It has to be a pretty sophisticated or professional scanner to properly work on our trucks, and "Generic" OBD-II scanner is of little use.

How's the oil level? How long has it gone without a change?
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm using my edge evolution programmer to pull codes.. If I put it in data stream mode I can see rpm's when i'm cranking the motor over. It has been 4,500 miles since last oil change. Dipstick reads more than half way up the safe mark after running.. The hpop is almost full of oil... Fuel pump on frame rail is working as well.. Any other ideas??
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

I don't know anything about the Edge, can you read ICP pressure and IPR% in datastream? That would tell you a lot...
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 PM

stole this from FTE. may help. worth a shot:
The P0603 means the PCM lost power. Will set whenever the batts are disconnected or a PCM fuse is removed or blown or if there is a flakey contact in the PCM power relay. Swap the IDM and PCM power relays and remove and reseat the fuses. Clear it and then wait and see if it comes back.

Fuse 22 is for the PCM power- it's designated "Engine Control"

Fuse 36 is just for the KAM - Keep Alive Memory in he PCM

Relay 302 is PCM power - Designated Powertrain (EEC) Relay

Relay 303 is IDM power
Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaya@bernhausen View Post
stole this from FTE. may help. worth a shot:
The P0603 means the PCM lost power. Will set whenever the batts are disconnected or a PCM fuse is removed or blown or if there is a flakey contact in the PCM power relay. Swap the IDM and PCM power relays and remove and reseat the fuses. Clear it and then wait and see if it comes back.

Fuse 22 is for the PCM power- it's designated "Engine Control"

Fuse 36 is just for the KAM - Keep Alive Memory in he PCM

Relay 302 is PCM power - Designated Powertrain (EEC) Relay

Relay 303 is IDM power
No, no, no, this is going in the Wrong direction here....

The 603 really is to be just ignored, and for several reasons in this case.

#1 He sees cranking rpm registered on this programmer, meaning the PCM is UP & RUNNING.

#2 He has a programmer (Edge) and how many of those things work is ReBoot & ReLoad the PCM's memory. This causes the KAM to be lost and that code generated.

The KAM is actually RAM, and just like your computer you're reading this on, RAM is cleared with a loss of power or reboot. I don't know how long that code is stored, but I'd bet a Good Percentage of our trucks "out there" have a P0603 in memory right now!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So, does the programmer(EDGE/AutoEnginuity) initiate a self-execute base-line default load just to look at the data stream, or only if the operator selects that command function and then chooses the parameters to set?I know with my MT-2500 and ASPLUS, I'm usually just looking at data stream and some command functions for different tests. I haven't worked much with re-programmers, I've kinda always held a "best left alone unless you have to" approach, but I know a lot of people like to tune theirs to up the performance. His Ex sounds like it's losing fuel flow from a heat related drop out, like a module failing. What I hate is so many people will say "Well, it's got a computer on it, why can't you just hook a computer to it and tell what's wrong?" Don't need to go into that spill with you NoRalPH, I'm sure you've heard it as many times as I have.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
No, no, no, this is going in the Wrong direction here....

The 603 really is to be just ignored, and for several reasons in this case.

#1 He sees cranking rpm registered on this programmer, meaning the PCM is UP & RUNNING.

#2 He has a programmer (Edge) and how many of those things work is ReBoot & ReLoad the PCM's memory. This causes the KAM to be lost and that code generated.

The KAM is actually RAM, and just like your computer you're reading this on, RAM is cleared with a loss of power or reboot. I don't know how long that code is stored, but I'd bet a Good Percentage of our trucks "out there" have a P0603 in memory right now!

i agree. missed that he was reading tach signal. and yes, the programmer will usually throw a p0603.
my apologies. just figured it would be quick and easy to check. but yes, you are absolutely correct. OP, disregard my comment
Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop6209 View Post
So, does the programmer(EDGE/AutoEnginuity) initiate a self-execute base-line default load just to look at the data stream, or only if the operator selects that command function and then chooses the parameters to set?I know with my MT-2500 and ASPLUS, I'm usually just looking at data stream and some command functions for different tests. I haven't worked much with re-programmers, I've kinda always held a "best left alone unless you have to" approach, but I know a lot of people like to tune theirs to up the performance. His Ex sounds like it's losing fuel flow from a heat related drop out, like a module failing. What I hate is so many people will say "Well, it's got a computer on it, why can't you just hook a computer to it and tell what's wrong?" Don't need to go into that spill with you NoRalPH, I'm sure you've heard it as many times as I have.
Again, I'm not all that familiar with the Edge but am with the AE

And they are really two different devices. The Edge reprograms the PCM for performance gains AND serves as a monitor for both sensor outputs and as "half-assed" gauges . It is only when reprogramming for performance gains that it could cause the 603.

The AE wouldn't do that though, it's really just a diagnostic tool.

As for the trucks issue, I think it would be most productive at this point to try to distinguish between an electrical issue from a mechanical one. Monitoring the Fuel and HP oil (if the Edge will do that) would be really helpful now.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

OK, thanks for the info. Agree on input/output stats, have to determine where the interruption is occuring. Have you ever seen hot soak pump failures where they would run but not pressurize the system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.