No Start troubles, confused, need help, 97 psd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation No Start troubles, confused, need help, 97 psd

Last week I was driving a mile from home, and the engine (97 7.3 PSD 130k miles) just quit. There was no hint of restarting, I got a tow home, visited the forum. Determined it was probably the Cam sensor. replaced that, and there was no change. Good batteries, good cranking.
I found fuse 22 blown! I replace that, and was instantly back on the road.

I spoke with a Ford Service mgr, and he said that it could be the fuel heater. I told him I often head to the boonies, and he said you do not need that heater til it gets real cold. He said that if it happens again, just disconnect the wire from the heater at the bottom of the filter. This will fool the computer.

SO yesterday, I was camping in the boonies of AK, and started and drove 1/4 mile, and she died! I quickly checked fuse 22, and it was blown!
I put in my only spare, and it blew instantly. I tried pulling wires off here and there and no change.

Very mad, I got a ride 80 miles and then back to get more fuses (totally ruined my day of ice climbing). Again fuse 22 blew instantly.

I started fiddling with the wires. Finally she roared to life with a new fuse in, and the upper wire of the 3 on the drivers side of the fuel filter unattached.

WHAT HAVE I DONE ?? WHAT DO I DO NEXT ??
This wire which I removed attaches to an appendage from the top left of the filter housing (3 different fuel lines leave from this appendage). From the owners manual, it seems like this might be the fuel restriction sensor, not the fuel heater??

Did I fool the computer, or did I just get lucky??

Since the engine ran, I drove 200 miles home just fine, but am wondering what to do next??

And what are the 3 different wires attached to the fuel filter? They are almost one right above another.

ANy ideas on what I need to do to fix the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had the same problem with my old 97. I can't remember exactly where the connection was for the fuel bowl heater. I thought it was on the upper right side of the fuel bowl, not sure though. Can you see what you diconnected in either of these pictures?

Sorry they are the only pics I have left of the OBS.
You should be able to take the fuel filter out and look at the heater element in there and figure out where the power for it comes in.
It sounds like you got the right one though. If that is it, don't bother ever reconnecting it, you don't need it. Especially in AZ. It ISN'T to help with cold starts.

Until you are sure stock up on those 30A maxifuses!

Also carry a little jumper wire with both ends stripped back to jump the fuse in an emergency. That's what I had to do once, when it blew all of my fuses!

Godd Luck

Last edited by Southpaw; 10-01-2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Space pictures a little
Old 10-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Chris. The wire that I disconnected attaches to a terminal directly behind the "O" in the Fuel Regulator in your 1st photo. I am almost convinced now that that terminal is not the fuel heater. My guess is it is for the fuel filter restriction sensor talked about in the owner manual. So I am not really sure that it had much to do with anything.
I just now started the engine just fine and warmed things up. Then reconnected the wire I had detached, and everything runs fine, starts and stops fine. Oh those gremlins. I am due to change the filter soon, so I will be at the heater soon and can check that.
FYI I am in Alaska, not Arizona! I will in a couple months be facing regular below zero starts, so I imagine I will want the fuel heater.
Meanwhile I've got a half dozen fuses, and ....
Gordon
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

My bad, I don't know why I thought Arizona?!?
The fuel bowl heater does help some gelled waxes(parafins) in the fuel pass through the fuel system easier in the wintertime, but it is Not a cold aid start. Disconnecting this will not affect starting at any temp.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont know what those pictures are but they're not the fuel filter assembly
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooney View Post
I dont know what those pictures are but they're not the fuel filter assembly
You're absolutely right

Those are not the pictures I posted

This thread is over two years old. IDK what happened to the ones I posted, when I went to edit the post to see what was there, it showed links to TDG. I don't have the pics anymore, and I don't what those are pics of

Sorry.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

thats ok I never found the wire but I did remove the heaterso problem solved. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.