oops while checking ficm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
oops while checking ficm

My recently purchased '04 Excursion starts fine when cold but takes a bit longer when hot. I read the sticky on "no start issue? look here" and was going to check the ficm voltage, but didn't have anyone to turn the ignition while I held the leads to the ohm meter. I have a set of leads with small alligator clips that I was going to hook to the battery ground and ficm lug and then to my tester, and try to check it by myself, but the clip came off of the ficm lug and touched the side of the case and it sparked. Now I get none of the usual chatter from the ??? (glow plugs maybe) when I turn the switch on and it may start if I held the switch but since I know something is wrong there is no need to see if it will start by running the starter.

Not having much luck finding anything searching the posts on here, can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sounds like you could have shorted out the FICM, you might need a new power board for it You have to be very careful when checking th evolve of the FICM. Have you tried re-checking the voltage and seeing what it reads?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check all fuse inside the truck. I think the FICM fuse is a 20amp box style fuse. If it is popped then you need a power supply and a fuse.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
Check all fuse inside the truck. I think the FICM fuse is a 20amp box style fuse. If it is popped then you need a power supply and a fuse.
I've pulled all the fuses in the fuse box. Is the "box style" fuse the long rectangular shaped ones in the fuse box?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
Sounds like you could have shorted out the FICM, you might need a new power board for it You have to be very careful when checking th evolve of the FICM. Have you tried re-checking the voltage and seeing what it reads?
Yes, I tried checking the voltage and get nothing. I'm guessing there is a fuse blown somewhere, but I've checked all the fuses in the fuse box and the two in the box under the hood where the relays are. I've switched the relays around in the fuse box to see if maybe that's the problem but still nothing. Surely I'm not the first poor soul to ever make this mistake so I'm hoping its something simple and someone can tell me what happened when they made the same mistake.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

I do believe it is a box style fuse with the clear cover over the fuse. They are sometimes hard to tell if they are popped. Check them close i will bet there is a 20amp one blown.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
I do believe it is a box style fuse with the clear cover over the fuse. They are sometimes hard to tell if they are popped. Check them close i will bet there is a 20amp one blown.
I pulled each of them and used a tester just to be sure...all fuses in the fuse box tested good.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm... well hell. Tough to say then, might just have to have the FICM checked off the truck.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Hmmm... well hell. Tough to say then, might just have to have the FICM checked off the truck.
Yeah, since I wasn't getting any reading off of it after I arc'd it off the case, I went ahead and pulled it off. I took it apart following the sticky on fixing it, and didn't see anything obvious...thought I might see where it had burnt across a couple connections inside or something but didn't see anything. Called the dealership to see if they could test it for me and they said they couldn't test it off the vehicle. Seems like it should be able to be tested off the vehicle but I'm not sure who could do it if the dealer can't.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

Have anyone else that has a 6.0L? Maybe try on a different truck...

The only other thing I would say you can do is plug it back into the truck, have someone help you, and recheck voltage.

K the pin right next to the pin that should be 48V, should be 12V. The 12V is the fused power to the FICM. Need to check and see if you have that 12V. If you dont then you have a popped fuse.

Guess my point is start from scratch...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.