7.3 wont start....just cranks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face 7.3 wont start....just cranks

ok folks here it is. I am an A.s.e. master mechanic with 20 years experience. I work as a fleet mechanic on a fleet of 176 cars and trucks and lots or heavy equipment. Most of my trucks are diesel fords. I have never had this problem. I'll start with the beginning. It was pulling a trailer from or ranch to town about 45 miles away. Ran perfect. Driver shut it off to go eat and 10 minutes later would not start. just crank. let it sit for an hour and still nothing. Called tow truck and had it towed back and it started and drove good. Ran a full diagnostic sheck with a otc pegasis scan tool. No codes. Test drove for 5 minutes and it stumbled and died. Would not start. came up with a idm circuit code. After checking all wiring at the idm i replaced the idm. Still same but it tries to start but acts like starving for fuel. reran codes and had codes for short in injector wiring. After checking injectors, valve covers, and all wiring still no problems found. Reset codes and now no codes on koeo test. checked fuel pressure at head and it is 65 psi while cranking. I have a rpm reference and injector control pressure is between 2500 psi and 4000 psi. Checked the high pressure oil pump resovoir and it is full. Electric fuel pump is pumping and fuel filter is new andand bowl refills. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and tested all wiring for it all the way back to the pcm. I have been tracing wiring and doing evertest on mitchell and still this thig will act like it wants to start but does not. It is currently 80-90 degrees outside so glow plugs should not be an issue but i tested the relay anyways. Also ran an injector buzz test and all buzz. I am at the end of my rope before i pull the trigger on this thing. Oh by the way it is a 2003 f-350 western hauller with 165,000 miles. Any clue on how to test a pcm or if it could be this or any other advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok folks, well I see a lot of you looked at my post but were probably just as stumped as I was. I found it. What I found was injectors that were buzzing but not opening far enough to let the fuel into the cylinders. This was caused from from parts of the Fram oil filter breaking down and pumping through the oil passages and stopping up the injectors. Granted the engine had 10,000 miles on the oil change but was only run on synthetic oils. Folks in my experience as a mechanic, I have seen numerous Fram oil filters come apart and cause a drop in oil pressure and this just tops the cake. If you have never cut a Fram oil filter apart you would see a cardboard element inside. Use your own judgement but Personally or professionaly I would not recommend Fram.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

FYI, don't go that long between oil changes. only go 5000 miles. Ford designed the 7.3L to use the engine oil under high pressure to fire the injectors.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea, Mobile One or K&N. Also, see my thread under Quest for Knowledge, our 7.3 was dropping out the IDM relay under load, killing the power to the module and not letting the injectors pop off. New relays, not a glitch since.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Banned

Check the solenoid to see if it is working. I don't know the specifics of yours, but make sure you get your 12 volts to the solenoid when the key is turned to start. If so, then tap it with a hammer a few times while the key is in start. Sometimes it helps.

http://www.handlingequipmentonline.com/

Last edited by KaitaHarris; 05-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I HAVE A 2002 E-350 7.3L THAT HAS 668K MILES, I ONLY USE (MOTORCRAFT FL 1995) OIL FILTERS. THATS FACTORY REPLACEMENT FOR ONE THING AND IF YOU CUT ONE APART AND COMPAIR IT TO FRAM YOU'LL SEE THE MOTORCRAFT HAS MORE FILTER IN IT. ALSO IN THE CASE OF THE OIL YOUR RUNNING, MOBILE1 IS GREAT FOR GAS ENGINES BUT NOT DIESELS. I RUN CHEVRON DELO 15W-40 ALL YEAR ROUND, DOES THE JOB AND THE ENGINE DOESN'T BURN IT OFF AS MUCH AS IT WOULD THE OTHERS, I USUALLY ADD A QUART AFTER 3000 MILES. I CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 5-6000 MILES. JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU SOME FRIENDLY ADVICE ON THE DIESEL. YOU SAID YOU HAVE CARS IN THE FLEET TOO. ITS A GREAT IDEA TO RUN THE MOBILE1 OIL IN THOSE AS LONG AS THEY'RE GASOLINE ENGINES. I HAD A FEW CARGO VANS THAT I PUT WELL OVER 500K MILES ON WITH JUST NORMAL ROUTINE MAINTANCE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.