2000 F250 Injectors - HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F250 Injectors - HELP!

I am newbie to the forum, and most definitely NOT a mechanic! If this post does not belong in this category, please move it.

I bought a used 2000 Ford F 250 4 x 4 with 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo two years ago, and it has 130,000 miles on it. I installed a TS Performance chip in it myself about a year ago, and have been running it on the #1 position since I installed it.

Hooked up the 37 foot 5th wheel to it Tuesday, and took off up in the mountains. Put the switch into #2 position (i think that is the 75 HP position) because we were in fairly steep mountains.

PROBLEM: I heard a small problem in the turbo I think like it was whirrrrring more than normal. Stopped for the night, headed down hill the next morning, and all of a sudden I thought the trailer was on fire!! But it was the truck blowing pure white smoke solid out the exhaust, and what looked like liquid fuel and oil mix. Had it towed 250 miles to home.

We live way out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the Sonora desert, so there are no mechanics out here. We took the truck 75 miles to Blythe Calif.

The mechanic said I had blown an injector, and that while replacing one, I should just replace all eight to the tune of $4500.00. Does this sound right to y'all? Can I (I am fairly mechanically inclined) change out the injectors myself? Does it take special tools (I have a jillion hand tools)? Do I need to have a lot of mechanical knowlege? I have never tackled anything on diesels.

Any and alllllllll advice greatly appreciated.
I need some advice guys.....Quick !!

Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
7.3 injector's aren't cheep, but for $4500 you could get something much larger than stock. As for special tools, a small pry bar, short straight edge 12-18" and a small dead blow. Pull the inter cooler tubes and valve covers, removed the injector hold down bolt, pry up injector, suck up oil and install new injectors, seat with dead blow, check that they are all even. I would also recommend replacing the glow plugs as you are 99% of the way there.

If you do elect for upgrades, you will probably loose part of your core deposit. Rosewood has some good prices, there are many other good ones out there too.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks a lot JS for the help. You were talking about an upgrade, I assume you were talking about upgrading the injectors right? Just so you know how dumb 75 year old cowboys are..... what would the upgrade do for me?, if I call Rosewood, will they know just what I need?, annnnnd will there be oil in the hole the injector comes out of???

Sorry about all of the questions, if this darn truck had a mane & tail I would know what I was doing right off

Thanks Again,
Rick
Old 05-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The injectors are not that hard to change take ur time there are two Allen head plugs in side the valve cover on each side in top of the head remove all 4 and the oil will drain if u don't when u pull the injectors the oil will drain on top of the piston and could hydro lock the motor. A good swivel is needed to het some the back and side valve cover bolts. Make sure the injectors seet all way down. I'm sure some more 7.3 guys will chime in with more info
Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Yeah he was saying that for $4500 you could get performance injectors instead of stock, the only problem with that is that you would need to send your chip off and have it tuned for the bigger injectors.. You could get a good vit more pep out of the truck but if you have been happy with the way the truck was running before you could save a ton of cash and just run stock style injectors... Rosewood diesel is a great place to get remaned injectors from and to can get their premium stock rebuilds for around $1200 plus sending your injectors in for cores.

As for installing the injectors yourself, yes if you have a nice selection of tools and some free time it's very possible to do the job yourself! There's a ton of write ups on the web about doing it and a lot of people here that will be glad to help you if you run into any problems. Like was stated if you do decide to tackle the job yourself I would recommend changing the glow plugs and also the under valve cover wiring harness which won't add much to the cost.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Jason....Errrrrrrrr scuse me I meant SIR! (My Daddy always taught me to respect my elders)

OK, I am going to call Rosewood tomorrow and order the regular stock injectors, would it be wise to replace the sleeves as well, or do y'all think they will be all right?

Where do y'all recommend I get the wiring harness?

Can't thank y'all enough!
Rick
Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch250 View Post
The injectors are not that hard to change take ur time there are two Allen head plugs in side the valve cover on each side in top of the head remove all 4 and the oil will drain if u don't when u pull the injectors the oil will drain on top of the piston and could hydro lock the motor. A good swivel is needed to het some the back and side valve cover bolts. Make sure the injectors seet all way down. I'm sure some more 7.3 guys will chime in with more info
Thanks kingranch250, all these little tips will make the job much easier I am sure.

I worked for the King Ranch outside of Tucson, AZ for 12 years. It is situated right smack on the Mexican border. In fact, the owner was killed a few years ago by the Cartel...Sad, sad situation, can't even work your own ranch down there any more....

Rick
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Piggingstring;3058106]Thanks kingranch250, all these little tips will make the job much easier I am sure.

I worked for the King Ranch outside of Tucson, AZ for 12 years. It is situated right smack on the Mexican border. In fact, the owner was killed a few years ago by the Cartel...Sad, sad situation, can't even work your own ranch down there any more....

Rick[/QUOTE
Yes sir we all try to help each others out with our input and knowledge we have

That's cool u use to work there anyway u can get a discount ha. But that is terrable that happend its a shame
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggingstring View Post
Thanks Jason....Errrrrrrrr scuse me I meant SIR! (My Daddy always taught me to respect my elders)

OK, I am going to call Rosewood tomorrow and order the regular stock injectors, would it be wise to replace the sleeves as well, or do y'all think they will be all right?

Where do y'all recommend I get the wiring harness?

Can't thank y'all enough!
Rick
Haha Jason is fine.. And I will get you the info on the wiring harness and valve cover gasket tomorrow, my friend just did his injectors and bought new ones from a parts store and they were made by the same supplier as ford uses at a way cheaper price I will give you the rand name and part number
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

One other tip piggingstring, please go read my post under A Word of Caution, get some cans of Brakleen and spray off your valve covers, tubes, etc. real good before you start, on a cold engine, to keep as much dirt away from the heads as possible. Keep that puppy clean, she will love you dearly for it. If you are in a garage/shop lay a bunch of newspaper underneath to catch the drippings, makes clean up a snap. Be careful with anything flammable, fire inside the box-a good thing, fire outside the box-not so much. Good luck, let us know how how she turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.