7.3L PSD Cranks No start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L PSD Cranks No start

Hey guys I need some help with my EX. When I started it to leave from work last night it was idling kinda funny and felt as if it had an ever so slight miss and the low fuel light came one. I stopped and put $30 which is ~7 gallons in until i get paid tomorrow. After I left the gas station I felt that it had a bit more of a miss, on my way home there is a slight incline which crests about .75mi up and it took forever. There was now power and the whole truck was shaking like a wet dog. When I finally got to the top of the hill I pulled over and was going to just let her idle for a bit thinking I had air in the fuel system. I tried giving her some RPM to blow the air out and when I held it at about 2000 for a bit I noticed the RPM slowly dropping until I let off the throttle, when I did that it sounded like a Big Block Race engine with a wicked nasty lope, then she quit. Luckily I wasnt to far away from my shop so I had my buddy bring his 6.0L out with a tow strap and we pulled it to the shop where it still sits not wanting to start.

I know there is diesel in the tank so I can rule that out. The batteries have been on the charger for the past hour or so and it cranks over real fast. I pulled the fuel filter and check the bowl it was low almost empty from me opening the drain valve on the side of the road to see if that would help, so I topped it up with a touch of ATF. I didnt have diesel or I would have used it. When I go KOEO I can feel the fuel pump click, but It doesnt really sound like its running. And when I pull the filter with KOEO the fuel bowl doesnt fill up.

My question to you guys is what should I try next? I really need my truck as I'm not to fond of driving the Chevelle in the rain, plus without a heater it gets cold lol. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the fuel bowl isn't filling, you need to see if the fuel pump is working.
You could put 12V directly to it and see if the bowl fills.
If not, you can set it up to have the fuel pump pull fuel directly from a can of diesel.
If that works, then you'll need to drop the tank and find out what happened in there. That's probably my guess, that the pick up is clogged or loose.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

My truck stranded me outside of vegas this past weekend, it started with a rough idle then just stalled and would not start. it cranked but would not fire. turned out to be the IPR connector, a cheap wire connector but cost me over $700 to narrow it down to that.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go read my post under A Word of Caution, hope it helps in the future.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Holy smokes sounds like what mine is doing except the filter bowl is filling up? HUM
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM

IPR or IPR wire harness I would check that before buying anything major
Old 05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationfam View Post
IPR or IPR wire harness I would check that before buying anything major
If the bowl isn't filling up, this won't do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.