7.3 Studdering and bucking... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Studdering and bucking...

I've had this problem for the last 3 months: Engine cold or hot shudders upon acceleration. Seems like some cylinders are off and when I press the gas they come on. Upon medium acceleration it starts to buck to the point that either I have to punch the pedal or take it off and decelerate.
I've done a cylinder contribution test and a injector test and it passed fine.
Fuel filter has been changed about 6 months ago.
Only mod is Superchip and K&N air filter. (tried standard and all 3 performance programs, all had the same symptom)

1999 f-350 Dually

...any suggestions? Darn truck is giving me a headache from all the bucking!

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
have you pulled the codes yet?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No codes yet. I don't have a diag. computer; have to borrow from a friend. Will check for codes asap.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Can't you pull the code with your superchip programmer?
One easy free thing to try without codes is to clean the switch and pot on the throttle pedal with WD40.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My superchip does not provide (at least I didnt see it) for codes. I just have a basic programming mode.
I will try the throttle pot switch clean. I should have the codes later this week . Thanks for the help so far!
PS You have some serious truck there. Mine is a 1999 also. On how many miles did you have to rebuild and what was the approximate value ($) for all rebuilding and mods?
Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

A good way to test to see if the throttle pedal is causing problems is to see if the same problems happen with cruise control on. Cruise control bypasses the pedal so if the trouble goes away with cruise then it is most likely the pedal and if the problem stays the same with cruise on then it is something else.

A Superchip Micro Tuner (SCMT) I believe the model number is 1701 and/or 1705, should have a diagnostics that allows you to pull codes. Code readers like you can borrow free from places like AutoZone will not work on a 7.3. Most Diesel shops will do a full scan (much better than a code read) and buzz test and contribution test and fuel pressure test, etc for around $75 and they should give you a printout of all the results and the condition of your truck. You may have to check around to find a “good” shop.

I bought my truck with 130,000 miles and it had signs of dusting from the crappy factory air filter. I put the Baldwin open element filter system on it and nursed it to 200,000 miles and decided to rebuild when it failed the compression test I did while replacing the injectors that got crapped out when I got a bad load of fuel. Total cost for everything including fluids was almost $4,000 doing all of the work myself except machining.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2002 7.3 4r100 and a 1705 super chip and same problem all 3 settings if I barely touch the throttle it starts bucking, cutting out and just sounds horrible. I take the programmer off, everything is normal. I have ran a #1995 super chip before with no problems, full power. 1705 starts bucking like the motor is being restricted. Also when installing it says " vin locked" but just before it cuts power I can tell it wants to ramp up rpm's faster, just won't let it. I don't know what to do about it.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM

My 2001 did almost the exact same thing... I changed the CPS, cleared the DTC's and haven't had any problems since (other than the tranny problem of a long pause from park to drive).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

7.3 Bank Bucking

On the 7.3, the Internal Injector wire harnesses and contacts at the valve cover can go bad. If you pull them off, check the connectors. I just did my 1999 7.3 and had the same thing but had to replace the harnesses, VC gaskets, glow plugs and IPC as well and it runs like a champ now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.