Had enough! 6.0 going down hill fast. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had enough! 6.0 going down hill fast.

This truck has me on whits end. I deleted the EGR system 2 sundays ago. Time and Money are my worste enemies, besides the truck that takes my time and money. Friday I went to help a buddy out. The 1.5 mile trip to his house was fine, and no issues. When I went to start up and leave I notices a kind of (loping) whistle sound coming from the exhaust (03 with straight pipe). It usually has a real nice steady whistle. I put her in reverse and she stutters with 2 very small joltes that I noticed, but my girl friend didnt. She got out on the road, and felt, and for the most part sounded fine. About 4 miles up the road, I stopped at a stop sign. The truck "felt" fine, and the engine sounded fine, but I could slightly hear the huffing, lope sound in the whistle. It didnt seam to get worse, and either I got use to it, or it got better.... Saturday morning, the first thought when I woke up was to go see how she does. She fired right up, and got to the end of my driveway with the faint signs of the day before. I pulled out onto the highway and started her off easy. She spit and sputtered a little, and was rolling some nice black coal. I run an edge attitude with juice, and had it on "mileage" setting. I went about 3 or 4 miles and the smoking was easing off, and the sputtering wasnt noticable once you get going. Just take off, and stopping? I parked her and let her cool off to start putting my hands on every plug I could. Well she took to sick the next fire up. She cranks right up everytime. She always have a noticeable sputter of loping sound. She hasnt blew anymore smoke, and has not had a major loss of power until today. She did not move from her spot after the first test drive yesterday. I tested the FICM and it is good. I notice that when you crank the truck that the oil gauge is down like always, then comes up about 2 seconds of running just like she always does. That is when the sound starts? Today was also the first time I had anyone in the truck while I was under the hood. I am not a mechanic, but a broke guy trying to wing it. When the key was turned to the run position all the normal stuff cycled. Then around the fuel filter was a hissing, and pumping sound for about 20 extra seconds? Im not sure if that is normal or not? Idk where to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't know how many miles you have on it but they all seem to need rebuiding at 140-180K miles.

Last edited by shu873; 04-03-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Check all the injector plugs. Make sure that you did not bent any of the pins when you put it all back together. I had the same problem and it took me a month to figure it out. I bent one of the pins just enough to have a weak injector. And to the last post... I have NEVER seen a 6.0 needing a rebuild at 140~180k I have witnessed MANY of them making it past 300k w/out problems. Delete the egr, stay away from tuners (or at least not run the hot tune all day every day just to roll coal.) don't boost it past 28 psi, and put a coolant filter to catch the casting sand in the block. Then it will be a better engine and last like a true diesel should.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
I don't know how many miles you have on it but they all seem to need rebuiding at 140-180K miles.

All I can say to that is

I'm glad you guys make money off of ripping customers off that actually believe you.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I like the way ashvilleengine thinks. From now on even the slightest problem in a parking lot requires the whole thing needing to be repaved.

"No, simply restriping the lot won't work, we're going to have to repave it"
Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 PM

What an absolutely absurd thing to say AshevilleEngines. Are you tring to drum up business or what? If you are trying to do that I think you will see pretty fast you are on the wrong forum....just stick around and see the posts that pop up from that....wait for it..........wait for it...............wait for it..........stupid comment!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM

Its a 6.0 PSD...They always need rebuilding..

On a serious note, have you changed your fuel filters lately? If its chugging on tip in accel that would be a cause. You need to find out what the Fuel Pressure is also. It might be right, but without a IDS system to check the parameters all at once, you need to do it one at a time.

Last edited by Rotbody; 04-04-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM

Granted there are a lot of 6.0 powerstrokes that are really good. We see the bad ones. Head gaskets blow a lot between 140-180K many times creating overheating problems which create other major issues. My own personal experience has been with my 2003 F-250 Lariet Crew Cab which had the engine replaced by Ford at 20K miles with a melted piston. At 25K it needed a new high pressure oil pump. By 36K miles it had been in many, many, different Ford Dealerships with a host of problems from blowing turbo hoses off to the whole top of my radiator blowing off. It was in the dealerships ONE DAY for EVERY 218 MILES. I sued Ford under the lemon law.
The 2005 F-350 dump truck was in the Ford Dealership so many times that we comained about having to pay the deductable so many times that it added up to thousands of dollars. They eventually told us that they didn't want to fix it anymore and told us to take it to a different dealership, which we did. At 100K miles we had some company offer us an extended warranty that we jumped on and it cost them $14,000 to replace the engine at 135,000 miles.
That's when we started the company so there would be a company who would supply a reasonably priced engine to those who did get a bad one!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Granted there are a lot of 6.0 powerstrokes that are really good. We see the bad ones. Head gaskets blow a lot between 140-180K many times creating overheating problems which create other major issues. My own personal experience has been with my 2003 F-250 Lariet Crew Cab which had the engine replaced by Ford at 20K miles with a melted piston. At 25K it needed a new high pressure oil pump. By 36K miles it had been in many, many, different Ford Dealerships with a host of problems from blowing turbo hoses off to the whole top of my radiator blowing off. It was in the dealerships ONE DAY for EVERY 218 MILES. I sued Ford under the lemon law.
The 2005 F-350 dump truck was in the Ford Dealership so many times that we comained about having to pay the deductable so many times that it added up to thousands of dollars. They eventually told us that they didn't want to fix it anymore and told us to take it to a different dealership, which we did. At 100K miles we had some company offer us an extended warranty that we jumped on and it cost them $14,000 to replace the engine at 135,000 miles.
That's when we started the company so there would be a company who would supply a reasonably priced engine to those who did get a bad one!
Wow you have bad luck with motors

sent from ^^^ his phone with jedi mind tricks
Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Did you guys know that it's actually the overheating problems creating the Head gasket problems...

Clogged oil cooler not allowing coolant flow into the EGR cooler thus "everheating the EGR cooler" (flash boiling)

Resulting in a ruptured EGR cooler letting coolant into the cylinders and causing the head bolts to stretch and the head gaskets to blow.

That is the main problem in 6ohs... not the engines/blocks being bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.