Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

no oil pressure

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
Will a 7.3 powerstroke start with no oil pressure?

I bought a salvage write off, it was hit hard in the front end,the ring on crankshaft pulley was chipped off, waterpump shaft moved it in so wouldn't turn, no damage to housing. I removed rad support to clear front of engine, put 2 good batteries in, the engine fired right up and ran excellent, best of any I've had so far, BUT the oil pressure gauge showed no oil pressure even rev'd up. Hoping just the gauge. Started it several times, engine quiet and very responsive. Thanks for any info. Al

#2 ·
If the engine is running and not stalling out when your gauge reads zero oil pressure, then your concern exists with the cluster, wiring, or oil pressure switch. If your engine is not running and reading zero oil pressure then suspect issue with oil pump, filter, oil pressure regulator, etc. The 7.3L engine needs to have base oil pressure in order to run the high pressure oil system, which runs your fuel injectors. :thumb:

#4 ·
This is correct.
The HEUI system uses the LPOP to get oil to the HPOP so the injectors can fire.
I'd mechanically check the LPO pressure first. If it's ok, the it's a gauge/sensor issue. If not, it's something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.