2006 F250 6.0 "Limp Home mode" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 F250 6.0 "Limp Home mode"

Hey guys,

First post, yep, a problem brought me to you.

My truck is STOCK. No performance anything on it. 88K miles.

Yesterday, while picking up my new to me toy hauler, & climbing a long grade, my truck went into limp home mode, lost power, etc. When I shut the truck off, it went back to normal node, until I hit the next long hard hill.

Searched the forum, found most references to EGR cooler & oil cooler.

I have a brand new Bulletproof EGR cooler & factory oil cooler with about 300 miles after the install. A local shop that does mostly large trucks & diesels did the work for me. They are not a performance shop.

I was pulling about 6000# at 60MPH, truck was at about 2800-3000RPM, turbo boost climbed until it hit the 3rd hash (30PSI?) on the stock gauge. When it got real close to the hash, it went into limp.

I watched very closely as I climbed the 3rd hill. as long as I kept revs down, boost down, it was fine, then if it hit the marks, it went limp.

Where do I go with this now? I have a trip planned in a week & need to sort this out ASAP.

Thanks,

John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would guess that you are seeing high oil temps, which is why you went into limp mode, but that is PURE speculation on my part. Further speculation - It sounds like your brand new oil cooler is clogged with the same crap that clogged your old oil cooler. You MIGHT get lucky if you do a reverse flush since it hasn't been a considerable number of miles.

Best bet is to get an electronic monitor like the ScanGuage II or the Edge Insight CS or CTS and monitor your oil and coolant temps. That will definitively tell you if your oil cooler is clogged.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Shawn thanks. I am going to do a reverse flush right away. Shop did cooler change & everything a total of less than 1000 miles ago. I just drove the truck 600 miles yesterday, maybe 2-400 before that after the change.

Is the reverse flush the one shown using Restore & Restore + in the tech section by PGreenSVT? Or, is that a regular flush? Hate to sound stupid, but I want to get it right.

Also, do we have any forum vendors who would be good to buy the EDGE from? I want to support those who support the forum if possible & not just AMAZON it.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do the regular with restore and restore plus and then at every drain pull the little plate off behind the oil filter housing and stick a 5/8" garden hose in the hole and let the water flush all the junk out of the cooler in between flushes.. You should probably get a coolant filter while you're at it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
Shawn thanks. I am going to do a reverse flush right away. Shop did cooler change & everything a total of less than 1000 miles ago. I just drove the truck 600 miles yesterday, maybe 2-400 before that after the change.

Is the reverse flush the one shown using Restore & Restore + in the tech section by PGreenSVT? Or, is that a regular flush? Hate to sound stupid, but I want to get it right.

Also, do we have any forum vendors who would be good to buy the EDGE from? I want to support those who support the forum if possible & not just AMAZON it.
Yes, you can use the method that PGreenSVT suggests or there is a writeup by Nylyon that describes JUST the reverse flush procedure, but it assumes that your oil cooler is off the truck.

Yes, there are several vendors that sell the Edge (I'm assuming you want the Insight CS or CTS). Stealth-Automotive, BulletProof Diesel, Strictly Diesel, Xtreme Diesel Performance (XDP), Performance Truck Products (PTP) are all resellers of Edge equipment.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM

Truck shouldn't go into derate because of a plugged oil cooler condition. You probably triggered an overboost condition. Check for a ceased unison ring or a biased ebp sensor.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose5 View Post
Truck shouldn't go into derate because of a plugged oil cooler condition. You probably triggered an overboost condition. Check for a ceased unison ring or a biased ebp sensor.
Is the unison ring the ring inside the turbo that controls the variable vanes? EBP, Exhaust Back Pressure, right, the one by #2 cylinder? Those 2 items are on my TO-DO list.

Was checking out the Insight CS & CTS. I like the CTS, but the CS looks like it has a cleaner install & the mount for the CTS is an afterthought. Thoughts on this? Most of the time, touch screen is a huge plus, so I will probably go that route. Will definitely upgrade to an EGT.

Also, cooler filter from Sinister is getting ordered tomorrow. I am going with them over the other guys mainly because they are in CA & I can get it in a day, not a week. I have to have it installed before next weekend & cannot chance waiting for a cross country shipment from Dieselsite.

High on my list is the uprated spring kit for fuel pressure.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose5 View Post
It absolutely will. If EOT gets over 253*F, the engine will defuel and with the earlier strategies, you won't know why because it doesn't set a hard fault code.

Either way, without gauges or a diagnostic tool, he won't know.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
Is the unison ring the ring inside the turbo that controls the variable vanes? EBP, Exhaust Back Pressure, right, the one by #2 cylinder? Those 2 items are on my TO-DO list.

Was checking out the Insight CS & CTS. I like the CTS, but the CS looks like it has a cleaner install & the mount for the CTS is an afterthought. Thoughts on this? Most of the time, touch screen is a huge plus, so I will probably go that route. Will definitely upgrade to an EGT.

Also, cooler filter from Sinister is getting ordered tomorrow. I am going with them over the other guys mainly because they are in CA & I can get it in a day, not a week. I have to have it installed before next weekend & cannot chance waiting for a cross country shipment from Dieselsite.

High on my list is the uprated spring kit for fuel pressure.
Yes, the unison ring controls the vanes.

I went with the CS because I didn't need some monstrosity sitting on my dash screaming, STEAL ME! The CS isn't a touch screen, but it can monitor all the same parameters as the CTS and has 8 readouts just like the CTS. It's just smaller and cheaper.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Well i learnt something today, I've been working on these things since day 1 and i havent seen one plugged bad enough to derate.

I put the updated fuel pressure kit in my truck the other day and i still cant believe the difference, pre-blue spring was 45 psi WOT and now it holds 65psi WOT steady.

@evil eye, how do you like the bulletproof waterpump? Is that the one with the aluminum pump wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.