Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

#3 and #5 Injector Change Questions. Need help quick

944 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LDH 
#1 ·
Had some engine issues and found out the #3 and #5 injectors were bad from the ford dealer. I ordered parts and was trying to get them installed before Sat so I can make the NC meeting.

I was a diesel mechanic in the coast guard back in 2001 and honestly don't remember much from school. I worked on it all day yesterday and ran into a few hicups and didnt know they were hicups until it was buttoned back up.

I read alldata.com and it didnt say to clean the injector pockets. Prob should have known but I didnt do it so please don't yell at me like I'm a dummy. I pulled 3 and it looked fine...No soot or oil. Looked brand new. I pulled #5 and it had what I now know after buttoning the sucker back up as injector blow by. After I had everything done we found a card in the bottom of the injector box showing common pictures and descriptions of injector problems. The picture was an exact match and it said I needed to clean the pocket before installing the new injector. So the question is do I need to spend a second day pulling everything open again from scratch to clean the pocket?

The second thing was the oil rail was in my way with #5 so I used two flat heads and pushed the black plastic ring down and the rail came off the hose. Then tonight when we put it back on we couldnt get it on with the screwdrivers. We looked at the tool needed on all data and went to lowes and bought flat stock and dremalled the tool. We placed it under the black plactic and forced it up with the tool until it stopped. My only question is it just doesnt seem like its super tight and the last thing I need is to screw something up. All data isnt real clear on giving hints. I don't have a bunch of money and I cant afford to ruin anything else.

Can somebody with experience please give me your honest opinion of how I need to handle these situations before I try and start it today. A few parts had to be overnighted today so it still sits unstarted until I get those parts.

I dont want to have to start from scratch but if its needed I will do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a big deal that you didn't clean the pockets. The big deal is making sure the cooper nozzle gasket was still on old injector.

As far as oil rail. Don't disconnect it. Remove bolts, pull up move out of way. No need to disconnect it. I just set it aside when I did my injectors.

#3 ·
Exactly. I hope you blew out the holes with compressed air that the injector hold down bolts screw into and torqued them correctly. If there was oil in the holes, there's a chance they could "back out" in time. As far as the injector bore, like he said...as long as the copper washer came out with the old one you're good. 18 or 19mm deep socket should be used as the push tool in order to get the electrical connector extracted from the hole in the rocker arm box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.