05 Excursion 6.0 seized a little while starting, now no power and white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 Excursion 6.0 seized a little while starting, now no power and white smoke

Please Help! My wife told me when she was driving she noticed a lot of white smoke but then it quit. I tried to start it last night and it would crank for less than a second and then stop suddenly like it was seizing. I finally got it started and there was tons of white smoke from the exhaust. I drove less than a mile before it completely lost power. Limped it home where it is now. It idles smooth, just tons of smoke and no power. What in the world could this be? P.S. I'm a diesel novice so I won't be able to decipher most abbreviations. Last year it started dying at around 35 mph so I had the PCM replaced. I've also replaced one injector and now another one seems to be dying (cuts out driving uphill and when very cold).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Another 6Slow

It would really help if you can get your hands on a code reader but im guessing your EGR cooler took a dump.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for quick response.

Thanks for answering so quickly. I don't have a CEL, but I guess it could throw codes and not give me the idiot light??? Also, what is the EGR, and what do you think it will cost to replace? Can I do it myself? I'm fairly handy but have had gas engines my whole life.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Another 6Slow

Seems like fords never throw a CEL. One way to check and see if your EGR cooler is cracked is to pull the EGR valve and see if your intake manifold looks like it got steam cleaned lol. I would do a EGR delete and eliminate the problem once and for all. I can try and post some diagrams on the location of the EGR valve and cooler.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just looked at a napa autoo-tech bulletin for replacing the EGR cooler....yowza! Will it harm the engine to try to limp it into town (8 miles) or should I just tow it? How hard is it to pull the EGR valve and look at intake manifold like you suggest? I'd like to know for sure that this is what is wrong so the shop doesn't try to buffalo me. Thanks very much for your help.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Another 6Slow

I can't find any good pics of the EGR valve, but its right behind your intake elbow, it has a electrical connector on the top of it and is held in place by 2 8mm bolts. I would remove that and look inside the manifold. The valve can be a pain to pull they can really get stuck in there, but with some lovin she'll come right out.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Another 6Slow

also check your coolant level if it is the EGR your degas bottle is probably empty. I suppose you could try and limp it into town if it'll crank over, don't keep cranking on it if its hydrolocked and Make sure you fill her up with coolant or water before you try and limp it anywhere if you do it.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK great thanks. I just called my wife and had her check the coolant and she's bone dry. I'm thinking you're spot on. The youtube video showing how to change it out is nearly 16 min. long so that would probably translate to 20 hrs of work for me to do it. Think I'll take it to the shop. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Another 6Slow

No problem! Where are you located at?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

30 miles outside KC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.