Dealer replaced EGR & Oil Cooler...Issues ALREADY within 2 WKS! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Dealer replaced EGR & Oil Cooler...Issues ALREADY within 2 WKS!

Truck information:
2006 KR F250 stock other than SCT with Looney file and straight exhaust

My problems. 3 weeks ago I brought my truck to the local Ford dealer for a long start and rough idle condition with accompanying white smoke. They ran diagnostics with the following findings. Low FICM Voltage at all stages, bad EGR Valve, bad IPR, EGR and Oil Cooler failure, damaged STC fitting, and damaged o-rings on the dummy plugs.

All were replaced along with the updated FPR kit. The dealer had my truck for almost 1 week.

I received the call that it was ready for me to pick it up. While driving home I noticed that it was smoking at each red light and once I was rolling again it went away. I called the shop and was told that it was normal after that type of repair and that it would stop after a couple of days or a good drive in it. Well fast forward 2 weeks and 1200 miles later, the smoking is still present. It is a light white smoke at idle after start up and subsides after about 30 seconds. The 1200 miles is in part of a trip that I took to central Oklahoma while I was on leave. Once I arrived in Oklahoma (and several times throughout the trip) I checked for leaks and fluid levels - all was well. The next morning I walked out to find a puddle of coolant under the truck and noticed it was leaking from a loose hose clamp. Tightened it back up and the leaking stopped.
Now fast forward to this morning (1 week later and have now returned home to Mississippi), I walked out to the truck and hit the key...about 15 seconds worth of cranking she fires up with a huge cloud of white smoke engulfing my truck. I instantly turned it off! I popped the hood to find that I have lost more coolant with no leaks present at all. The level is approximately 3/8" below the min line. I pulled the new EGR Valve and found dropplets of coolant and a damp intake. No puddles inside just damp. After that I jumped back in and it fired right up within 2 seconds. I know that the dealer has a 12 mth/12000 mile warranty on this and no doubt I will be bringing it back to them first thing Monday morning.

I was wondering if anyone else has had an EGR cooler fail this soon after replacement? I never dogged or beat on the truck. Nor did I tow anything. I am hoping that I did not damage the head gaskets (and if so, would the dealer be liable since they checked them and they were good and this is in part to the EGR cooler failure?) or have an injector failing.

Sorry for the long read, I just wanted to be as informative as possible. Any input would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 AM

I have heard of this happening to people before and from reading on here, heres what i think happened. If the coolant system isnt flushed properly, whatever is left in there can ruin the new oil cooler very quickly(within a couple hundred miles). Once that happens, its just a matter of time until it takes out the egr cooler. Hopefully you havnt blown the headgaskets yet but i would definately put up a fight at the dealer if they dont want to cover it. Seems like a lot of dealers have guys working on diesels that should be working on a ford taurus or someything. The one in my town has guys that shouldnt even be working on golf carts! I travel a half hour away to a dealer where I know the diesel guys are good mechanics.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the reply. It is currently back at the dealer since yesterday noon time. I am going to call them and see if they have atleast brought it into their shop. I told the service manager after they completed the work that I was taking it on a trip to Oklahoma and that I needed to be confident that if something happened to the cooling system that they would warranty it. He "assured" me they would. We will see.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

UPDATE!
Just got off of the phone with the service manager and he told me the truck was fine. They applied pressure to the system and it held with no drop what so ever. He also told me the loss of coolant could have been from an air in the system. Sounds right to me. I am a mechanic for the Navy and have had this issue multiple times after cooling system flushes and repairs. I am having them go back and re-test it now. He told me that they can not go into the internals if it passes the pressure check. I am tempted to pick it up and bring it to another center.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

its possible.....but still having white smoke after 1200 miles of driving is suspect to me? I can see it happening for a little bit to get whatever residue is in the exhaust to burn away....but 1200 miles seems like a lot, but i'm not a mechanic. Just keep an eye on it i guess
Old 03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

I went to the dealership this evening with a plan to get the truth from the service department. My plan was to talk about a trade in and when they told me what they were going to give me for a trade in (which I was guessing they were going to low ball me) I was going to ask why so low. I thought that would get an answer if the service department knew something and did not want to warranty the previous work or make them dig for something so they would not have to bite it after the trade. I found a great truck. A 2009 F150 FX4 Lariat fully loaded. Extremely nice truck. They offered me 18,5 for mine and I am seriously contemplating the deal. I am going to sleep on it and see how I feel about it in the morning.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM

those are nice trucks. if you dont really need a heavier truck....and dont need a diesel, i'd say make the deal. I'd much rather drive a 150 for a daily driver than a 350 diesel. Cheaper to run, more comfortable...its a no brainer! Depends what you are using it for I guess. In my case, my 350 is a personal vehicle but I use it to tow equipment for my landscaping business as well. Good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

18.5k for 06 how many miles are on it, I'm thinking of getting rid of my 07 f350 lar... crew dually 4x4 with 89k on it, once I finish my other head dummy plug and stand and stc fitting. I'd hope to get more like 21 or more, I'm in Ca. so maybe I;ll get lucky.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

My truck just rolled 101K. The trade in value they marked mine at is right in with the average for 05-07 6.0's in this region. Good luck with your truck deal. Hope you can get that.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 AM

consider selling it on your own? i'm from the boston area and most 06's or 07's with comparable mileage are going for around 22k$ to 24$k if they are in nice cosmetic shape. I hate trading in a truck....just so they can make at least another $5000 off of you? screw that......lil more work to do on your own but i think its worth it. try puttin an ad on craigslist for a week or 2. if it doesnt sell then maybe trade it in but at least you can say you tried not to get raped by the dealer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.