Burnt oil & Smoke under hood with no trace of leak?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Burnt oil & Smoke under hood with no trace of leak?!

Hi all, I have an 06 PSD with 49K on the clock. 12 months ago Ford put $7,800 in the engine with warranty work, cab off, 38 parts replaced ect. The whole thing was apart despite the heads and rocker box's.

Approximately 6 months after the work I would get a light odor of burnt oil from under the hood when I parked in the garage and walked by. I would sniff between the head and fender and with the engine heatr rising and could easily identify it. I thought its a diesel, they stink..

So, about a month ago I park and walk into a store passing my truck around 20 feet away, the area just reaked of burnt oil. I walked back to my truck having no problem knowing it was coming from it, again from under the hood.

I take it into Team Ford and show the tech. You can clearly see smoke rising near the exhaust side of the turbo, infront of the pipe. He says, here it is and points to the drivers side rear rocker box. He see's a little leak and determines that its burning on the manifold. Not a common leak.

They write up an estimate with a $4,000 price tag stating that they didn't touch the rocker box so it's not covered by warranty! Nice try

The smoke was nowhere near the alleged leak, further more the leak looked more like the glow plug harness. So I get them to replace that and hopefully stop the issue? It didn't seem right but it was free and covered.

I pick up the truck and the burnt oil smell starts coming through the vents right away sitting at the first stop light. This odor and smoke only exists when driving. You can't start and let idle to get results.

I check the rocker box location and confirm that no oil is leaking or near the exhaust manifold eliminating that issue. What I do see and smell is burnt oil and white smoke rising up from the left (if facing) side of the turbo and a good rate. As I look down in the area its clean and dry as can be!

I took a mechanics mirror and flash light all over that engine and bay, not a drop or residue to be found. I go back to Team Ford and pick up the Supervisor for a ride. I pop the hood open and show him as he strattled the engine with a flash light clearly locating the burnt oil and smoke from that location.

The truck is back at Team Ford her in Las Vegas and I got a call tonight. The supervisor states that he let the truck run "all day" and can't get it to leak. I reminded him to drive it. He says he cannont find any form of leak and wants me to just settle with the rocker box leak stating the smoke is traveling around to the other side of the engine 3 feet away, not straight up, and causing the issue

I Clearly stated, No. He didn't want to hear that and became noticably upset reminding me that I'm not paying for the work and that he has to take his own time to figure it out and I should just come and get it! I said I want them to fix it as its under warranty. He became more upset telling me now he's going to put his camera's all over the engine, if that doesn't work, he's done.

As far as I know he is not a diesel tech. He is keeping the diesel tech from working on it so they don't have to pay him for his mistake. Now he's mad, I'm kinda worried about my truck.

You can clearly see the white smoke and smell the burnt oil from below the exhaust side of the turbo, its easily identifiable! Whats going on boys? Is it the turbo drain tube? Its been replaced or updated as necessary i believe. What else is back there that would burn off so quick leaving no trace? This only occurs when the engins under load and you come to a stop or shut it down.

I think its the turbo or something related to it.

What do you all think?

Thank you in advance!!!
Jake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The drain tube is in the front section of the turbo an connects to the bottom of the turbo. If you had oil dripping from it I believe you would see a little oil left on the top of the motor. It doesn't get that hot to just burn it right off. I leak oil from on top of the oilcooler/oilfilter housing an it just sits there.

What work was done the first time around?

I've had very bad luck with Ford until I really learned my motor an what I was talking about. I can understand for the most part people are pretty stupid an all day long they get yelled at. I walk in now an talk right to the tech, only cause I have a much better idea then the service writer.

The motor isn't crazy to understand. Burnt oil from the top of the motor would lead to the feed line to turbo but that would be easy to see, the drain as you mentioned the valve cover area an oilcooler cover area.

have you had a chance to look over the 6.0bible?
6.0L Bible Table of Contents

Take a good look at that,once you look it over a couple of min's you see how everything flows (both coolant and oil)
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 AM
Premium Member

svtme - Did you ever locate your leak. Today I started having the same problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Premium Member

Found the problem! Same symptoms, smoke rising from the pass. (left side facing) of the engine near turbo and burnt oil smell but no residue. Got a bright light started looking around from the top of the engine and nothing. Stood by the pass. fender and noticed the wiring harness under the tube coming from the turbo and leading to the cooler/radiator had a few drops of the oil on it. Looked right above it and I noticed the blue boot had a small hole in the underside and was leaking oil. Does anyone have a part number for this? Price? Can you wrap it with gorilla tape as a temp fix? svtme - you might want to check the same.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey man, I rerouted the crank case vent and it stopped. All good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.