Help -'97 dually that won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help -'97 dually that won't start

Hi all, Newbie to this forum, with a starting problem.

My son's Eclipse Custom 4-dr Dually has been sitting here in Fla for a few months. It was started monthly to move to mow grass. Last time it was tried, the batteries were too low to start. (not bad for a 97 - almost 10 years) Never ever had a problem until now. It has about 80K on it. It's entire life has been pulling his 29' Fountain Fever boat without a single problem.

Purchased 2 new premium batteries, and got it started, but it acted like it was running out of fuel. Sometimes it would start & idle, other times it would lope, and never rev up. Sometimes it would act like no change in rpm when you stepped on the throttle. Sometimes it sounded like it was only running on 6 or 7 cyl. Finally I couldn't get it to even start! Checked & added more fuel. Both tanks are FULL. Checked the filter, and it was full. Drained off some fuel, and no water to my knowledge came out.
Later I tried to see if fuel was getting to the filter bowl, and when cranking the engine, fuel would slowly rise into the bowl. It sounds like the fuel pump is running with the key on, but it never seems to totally stop! This was before removing the filter for a look-see.

I'm a half-fast diesel mechanic as I have a Yanmar 35HP in my boat, but it is all mechanical. Used to be all you need is air & fuel to make it run, but with the ECM and computers & electronic injectors it is not so simple any more.
Just trying to get a handle on the problem 'cause it's a long way to be towed to a garage for work.
One last question, do the 7.3 PowerStroke engines of this vintage need to have the air bled out of the systems like my little Yanmar, or are they self-bleeding? It would seem to me that they bleed themselves.
Thanks for any help

Boxwrench
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if its a 97 model it has a manual lift pump to feed it fuel, you said you can hear the fuel pump running , confused?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 AM
Emergency Services

If you can hear a quiet whining noise from under the driver side when you turn your ignition on, you probably have an electric fuel pump. im not sure when manual went to electric, ive heard mid 90s. anyhow, if its electric, it will self prime, you just have to keep turning the key, as long as the air hasnt gotten to the injector. if it will run and not die within 10 or 20 seconds, just let it prime itself, if it wont stay running, its probly gotta be bled through the injectors. you can use starter fluid to keep the motor running, which will eventually prime the injectors. be careful not to fully enject starter fluid , you have to pulsate it. remember these diesels rpm is fuel controlled, you can over rev the motor w/ started fluid
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
if its a 97 model it has a manual lift pump to feed it fuel, you said you can hear the fuel pump running , confused?
I can understand why you ask. I can hear a whirring sound under the driver's door when the key is turned on, and yet when I look behind the fuel oil filter bowl on top of the engine, I see what looks like a fuel pump, like cars used to have before FI. Now I'm confused I have to admit, I don't have a manual for the engine, so I'm not familiar with the locations of all the components.
I've read on other posts that the HPOP & LPOP resevoir have something to do with the problem, but I'm not sure what to look for.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwrench View Post
I can understand why you ask. I can hear a whirring sound under the driver's door when the key is turned on, and yet when I look behind the fuel oil filter bowl on top of the engine, I see what looks like a fuel pump, like cars used to have before FI. Now I'm confused I have to admit, I don't have a manual for the engine, so I'm not familiar with the locations of all the components.
I've read on other posts that the HPOP & LPOP resevoir have something to do with the problem, but I'm not sure what to look for.
i dont know what you are hearing run , but if you have a 97 model there is only a manual pump in the valley , unless someone has fabbed a electric pump under the truck that isnt factory , i guess that is possible , dont think that is what i would wont , but somebody may have tried to bypass the mechanical pump, follow the lines and see under the truck if that is what is going on
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't think that the truck has been modified. My son bought it as a new-leftover from the Ford dealer in Southern Ohio. To my knowledge, everything is original since new.
Not sure what I'm hearing, but it definitely makes noise at key-on, then gradually slows to almost un-noticable. I thought it was an electric fuel pump. This truck has 2 fuel tanks. Could it be a solenoid or something?
I can't check now as the truck is about 45 minutes away where it is stored. Just trying to get as much info as possible so I can try to pinpoint where the problem lies.

Boxwrench
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxwrench View Post
I don't think that the truck has been modified. My son bought it as a new-leftover from the Ford dealer in Southern Ohio. To my knowledge, everything is original since new.
Not sure what I'm hearing, but it definitely makes noise at key-on, then gradually slows to almost un-noticable. I thought it was an electric fuel pump. This truck has 2 fuel tanks. Could it be a solenoid or something?
I can't check now as the truck is about 45 minutes away where it is stored. Just trying to get as much info as possible so I can try to pinpoint where the problem lies.

Boxwrench
like i say , you shouldnt be hearing anything running that is factory, there are so many things that will cause these engine not to start , need to start with basics , oil full, and in good shape , if possible, i would get the codes pulled , that may save you alot of time, also make sure batteries are charged if it isnt spinning fast enoguh , never will start, start there and get back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.