6.0 injector install gone bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 injector install gone bad?

One of my buddies at work just got done replacing all 8 injectors in one of our company trucks, it was missing on 2-3 cylinders so the bosses decided we couldnt afford the down time and bought all 8 injectors, it went together good but after about 15 minutes of running it started pouring out white smoke. We decided to tear it back apart and found that one of the injectors was not seated all the way and it wrecked the o-ring. We replaced the o-rings and put it back together, it ran about 10 minutes and started pouring out white smoke again. He took it all back apart again and every thing looked good. Put it back together and ran fine for 15 minutes drove it about 3 miles and it started smoking white again! We called ford and they said it was probably a bad injector cup, the boss isnt happy and I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for us to try. P.S. the smoke doesnt smell like coolant. It is a 2003 6.0 with 220k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

bump for some help
Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to AMMO22
Are you sure all 8 injectors were new?
Was he certain he installed the copper washer?
Are all the o-rings (2 for each injector) good on the injectors?
Did he torque the injector hold-downs to 24-26ft/lbs?

Really there is very few things that could be done wrong. If it was the injectors sleve it would have smoked prior to the install of new injectors, unless he damaged them pulling them out. Ask those 4 questions and let us know.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

He swears every thing is right so yesterday morning we took it out driving, it didnt smoke for about 5 minutes then it started to smoke white real lightly. We kept driving and it eventually cleared up we ended up putting like 50 miles on it with no problems, they took it on a job today pulling an enclosed trailer close to 100 miles and it ran great. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the cat had some fuel in it from when the injector wasnt seated and it finally burned it all out. I have no clue if this is possible or not. But so far all appears well. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i can' t believe i didn' t think of this, but anytime you replace injectors on a 6.0 or 7.3 powerstroke, you get air in the high pressure oil system. it takes about 30 miles of driving to clear up. glad he figured it out
Old 09-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrad52751 View Post
He swears every thing is right so yesterday morning we took it out driving, it didnt smoke for about 5 minutes then it started to smoke white real lightly. We kept driving and it eventually cleared up we ended up putting like 50 miles on it with no problems, they took it on a job today pulling an enclosed trailer close to 100 miles and it ran great. The only thing I can come up with is maybe the cat had some fuel in it from when the injector wasnt seated and it finally burned it all out. I have no clue if this is possible or not. But so far all appears well. Thanks for your help!
Sounds like exactly what I would have suggested. Just keep running it, and run it hard. It needs to blow out all of the unburnt fuel that poured in there while the injector wasn't seated properly. Good luck!

-Ashley
Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If you dont mind what does it cost for the injectors and how difficult is it to replace them?Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Stock injectors I've seen range from 350-500 bones in the parts department. Replacing them is quite a simple task, but can prove to be hazardous if proper procedure is not followed. Trust me, it's bit me in the a$$ before. All new in box 6.0 injectors I've seen come with all 3 o-Rings and copper washer installed, so just make sure their good before you put them in. Torque to 23-24 ft. lbs. Make sure your stand pipe is seated back into branch tube, as later builds can become dislodged during assembly. Place your oil rail back on top of the injectors, and GENTLY push to seat into injector bodies and down onto rocker carrier. Torque to 10 ft. lbs. Depending on bank and build, fill the oil rail back up with new oil, either from the tiny plug on top(takes a 4mm hex to remove) or the ICP sensor hole. This will usually take 1/2 to 5/8 quart then complete reassembly. Doing this will aid in air removal, ease starting after repair, and should begin to run smooth within a few minutes just idling in the shop.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Man i just had the same thing happen here at the dealership, I put 2 in a 06 and one of them just decided it wasnt good enough and dumpued raw fuel into the cylinder...eventually causing it to shut down and almost hydralock.
So it happens everywhere.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine is doing the same exact thing so im guessing I need to pull it down and check all injectors? it boiling out white smoke so thick you can hardly see through it. started as a light haze went away and then came back heavy once i began driving it. know it seems like its hydrolocked

My problem was also compounded by the injector being stuck in the head and needing some major coercing to come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.