Coolant in the oil - fast - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant in the oil - fast

Looking for some advice. I was driving home this afternoon about 10 minutes into the trip i noticed the engine getting loud. Kinda like a whining noise seemed to be low on power also. Got home within a few minutes opened the hood and looked around to find the coolant reservior empty. Immediately checked the oil which was high but not milky. I went to the store (in a different vehicle) and got new filters, oil, anti-freeze, new inner tie rod ends, etc. (time for 100,000 mile service). I put 1 gallon of anti freeze in which it consumed immediately, then a second, then a third of water then a fourth of water. I then started the truck and let it run for maybe a minute or 2 and checked the oil again and viola its another 3 or 4 inches higher on the dipstick. how could 4 gallons of antifreeze just run straight into the block? I would think head gasket, however, 4 gallons in a matter of 2 minutes, is that even possible. any ideas? Im not happy, it just went out of warranty about 4 days ago. (just hit the 100,000 mile mark) btw its a 2002 crew f-350 no dtc set, no smoke, and never overheated infact it never went over the normal temp range.
Help please

Thank You
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just talk to the dealer and they might be able to help you out. I've had vehicles go in and the dealer told me they warrantied it. One truck had 120,000 miles on it.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

I'm thinking you have a front cover problem, MAYBE an oil cooler issue, but it would most likely no because it would be the opposite due to the fact the oil pump has more pressure

Shawn
Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by front cover do you mean the plate behind the waterpump? Is it possible that it corrodes through somehow, if so, i was leaning that way also as I dont see how a head gasket leak could pump the block that full that fast. someone please correct me if im out in left field here please.

Thanks you the replies guys, its much appreciated.

Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

Well, I removed the water pump and the oil cooler. Both front cover and the oil cooler appear fine. I vacumme tested the oil cooler no leaks, front cover is like new. Oil cooler gaskets also appear fine. Any other ideas.

Thanks for the replies guys
Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I am thinking the worse and I am hoping I am wrong. But cracked block is what I am thinking. Or maybe a cracked head. It could be head gaskets though to. They could be leaking internally and not externally. Also I thought I read something about Injector cups. But I think those pertain to fuel in the oil.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

The block or heads would be worst case. Injector cups leak oil into the coolant bottle, not vise versa. head gaskets arn't very common issue on the 7.3's, but anything is possible. it would have to be REAL bad to leak as much as it has. Is it smoking??

Have you done a cooling system preesure test?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope no smoke. I was really really hoping it was the oil cooler. Im in the process of removing the front cover maybe, the front cover to the block gasket is bad (doubt it). then on to the heads i guess.

thanks all for the help
mike
Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Yeah I would look at that front cover gasket. That is very possible!!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for all the replies guys,

had to call it a day, got the front cover partially removed still working on it. should have it off tomorrow. I cant believe i am having to do this with 100,000 miles on it. Oddly enough, i was onl doing about 25 mph no load when (whatever it is) Broke.

Thanks again,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.