No power,chuggn, knockn - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln Nebr
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power,chuggn, knockn

I thought I had this figured out but I guess not and we need to hit the road this weekend towing a trailer...My 99 f350 started chuggn and you could hear the injectors rattling when I needed to accelerate up a hill or to pass someone.....I would also get a service engine soon light...I changed the fuel filter and the cps.......I don't get the service engine light now under acceleration but the truck ran around 10 miles and then started losing power and chugging away........no codes are stored........I am running bio diesel now and I have made sure to keep extra fuel filters with me on trips... I've been through 2 so far..I exited off interstate and got on the local streets and it ran fine. We need to travel this weekend ....Any ideas?
RRRDAD is offline  
post #2 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Go back to regular diesel and see how it runs. Change your fuel filter and through some fuel additive into the tank as well as some injector cleaner. Try that out. Also see if you can get some codes since you say your cel light came on.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 
SCUFFY828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,316
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRDAD View Post
I thought I had this figured out but I guess not and we need to hit the road this weekend towing a trailer...My 99 f350 started chuggn and you could hear the injectors rattling when I needed to accelerate up a hill or to pass someone.....I would also get a service engine soon light...I changed the fuel filter and the cps.......I don't get the service engine light now under acceleration but the truck ran around 10 miles and then started losing power and chugging away........no codes are stored........I am running bio diesel now and I have made sure to keep extra fuel filters with me on trips... I've been through 2 so far..I exited off interstate and got on the local streets and it ran fine. We need to travel this weekend ....Any ideas?
if the check engine light came on you should have a code in memory, does sound like it might be a fuel problem, i do agree with putting regular diesel in tank and see how it runs , get codes pulled if you can before going much farther

SCUFFY828@POWERSTROKE.ORG
ITS STOCK
SCUFFY828 is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln Nebr
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok thanks guys......I've been running the bio for 5 months now but that doesnt mean it's not affecting it...the bio cleans everything good so maybe some crap has plugged something up..... Eventhough the service engine light comes on there are no codes stored....I will unhook the trailer and have it scanned again...I have it scanned at auto zone... Is this ok? On my 95 someone suggested to clean out the little screen that is in the fuel line before the fuel bowl....Does my 99 have this and could it be an issue?
RRRDAD is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRDAD View Post
ok thanks guys......I've been running the bio for 5 months now but that doesnt mean it's not affecting it...the bio cleans everything good so maybe some crap has plugged something up..... Eventhough the service engine light comes on there are no codes stored....I will unhook the trailer and have it scanned again...I have it scanned at auto zone... Is this ok? On my 95 someone suggested to clean out the little screen that is in the fuel line before the fuel bowl....Does my 99 have this and could it be an issue?
Maybe the fuel sock in the fuel tank maybe clogged causing a fuel starvation at wide open throttle.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln Nebr
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I assume you need to drop the tank to do this? Is it just the 2 straps holding the tank? once the straps are off can I just drop the tank or do I need to take fuel lines off first? thanks for the help
RRRDAD is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

 
vitalidle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Munising, MI.
Posts: 9,092
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
From what I have read on here autozone's scanner wont read all the codes.

2002 F-250 4x4 EC, SRW, SB
Auto 93,000 miles
DP Tuner F5
ATS Compressor and 1.0 Exhaust housing high flow back plate
Turbo Back 4" Silverline Exhaust Mbrp Muffler Delete
Isspro Trans,Pyro,Boost Triple Pod
Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
AIH Delete With Boost Fitting

vitalidle is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRDAD View Post
I assume you need to drop the tank to do this? Is it just the 2 straps holding the tank? once the straps are off can I just drop the tank or do I need to take fuel lines off first? thanks for the help
The way I do it is raise the bed of the truck. I remove the bolts that hold the bed down and then use a jack and jackstands to raise the bed up high enough about 2 feet to remove the fuel pickup tube.

But you can do it by dropping the tank down. I believe you will have to remove the fuel lines at the tank.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lincoln Nebr
Posts: 60
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok thx........I did some reading and what can you tell me about the sensor in the foot pedal that senses pedal movement....? I did recently put in a simple power programmer and one of the wires connects to the wires on the pedal.. do you know anything about this? Thx M
RRRDAD is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My 95 did the same thing a few months ago when I filled up with biodiesel. It cleaned my tank so well the stainer on the bottom of the pickup fell apart and sucked all the stuff that was cleaned from inside my tank into the switch so my front tank wouldnt work. Had me baffled for a few weeks because it ran fine off the rear tank(with regular diesel) and would run a few miles on the front then the truck would die and almost shut off. Could have just been a coincidence but I havent ran any more bio through my truck.

Jason

95 F350 psd, cc, dually, 5spd, 4.10. Banks Stinger Plus, Quick turbine housing, chip, pyro and boost guages on a-pillar, downpipe, removed cat and muffler. Griffin aluminum radiator with shroud and 2 Spal electric fans.
j.dehn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome