need help with my fuel leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
need help with my fuel leak

OK guys I need a little help. I have a fuel leak, leaking into the rear of the valley,very hard to see with mirror and flashlight,removed pass side IC pipe, now I can watch it drip(with mirror,while running), the highest point I can see fuel dripping from is on the fuel line on the pass. side(part # 9B273),it is dripping off of the elbow that is blocked by the square box in the picture.

Does anyone know if there is a common leak point above that, where it could be coming from that I can't see? Or is the fuel line likely ruptured? It leaks a lot when running. I have tried to look up the fuel line in both directions, and can't find the leak up any higher.
Sorry I suck at getting pictures up here, I don't know how, but i'll deal with that problem later.
I'll be taking it apart while I wait for any responses.

Thanks a lot guys
chris
Attached Files
File Type: zip HPOP.zip (2.15 MB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Corroded O-rings

I had the same problem with my 99. The new diesel fuel is corroding the o-rings in your fuel lines. There are 5 or 6 to be replaced. I bought my kit on e-bay alot cheaper than at the Ford dealer. There are 4 o-rings in your fuel rails and a couple in your filter housing. The ones in back were the hardest to replace but with a little determination it can be done. Pick up a good Chilton or Haynes manual. It will help with the removal of the filter housing etc. This should cure your problem it did for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
I think you are talking about the fuel drain valve? it is on the back side of the filter housing. Has a yellow handle. They are common for leaking fuel into the valley.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have seen holes rubbed in those lines by the support strap that hold the line in place.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Well fatty2309 was the closest.
I am soooooooo pissed right now.
I knew that the O-rings probably should be replaced, but I knew that the leak was not coming from either end of the line, it was somewhere in the middle. It was either something dripping down onto it, which I could not find, or it must have been a hole in the line somewhere.
Well i'll be dipped in sh!t, there is hole in the line! right next to my NEW HPOP supply line. The one that the shop replaced for free on good faith.
I took everything off the top of the motor and removed the fuel line(Lugen was right, pain in the butt) When I looked at it, there was a gouge out of it near where this oil supply line is. I submersed the line in water except for the ends, plugged one end with my finger, and blew into the other end, sure enough! bubbles right where the gouge is!! SON OF A..... The moral of this story is --- Never let anyone work on your truck, but you! Even if it is free!
For the record fatty2309, it is worn a little where the support clasp goes. thanks for the tip.
Thanks for letting me vent guys. I feel better, sorta.
I'm going to see what Ford wants for a replacement line. If it's too much, i'll just J.B. Weld it and get new O-rings.
If I can get my wifes camera to work, I'll post some pictures of the line and the O-rings that came out of it.

Thanks to all for the quick replies
chris
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
The Fat Mod

Glad you got it figured out. Good luck on the fix.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its recommended to replace the line but if its too high which i highly dought it. You could have it braised (how ever you spell it). it will hold better & longer than JBWeld. Course i can't do that procedure at our Ford shop, its against our policy.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Quick update:
Go the new fuel line in and everything put back together last night. $52 fix, and no more leaks!

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry I did'nt respond back so soon. I'm glad you found & repaired the leak. These trks. are sometimes hard to find oil & fuel leaks. Congrads to you!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Does anyone know what fittings are used on the fuel lines from passenger side of fuel bowl? They appear to be standard 1/4" tubing fittings. I ask because after installing my Stealth kit, my fuel lines had to be removed and I would like to get some flexible ones made. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.