HPOP Reservoir EMPTY - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question HPOP Reservoir EMPTY

Hello Iím new to the forum and I just brought home my NEW to ME 2002 F-450. She has 167,000 miles so I expected a few minor repairs, but she did not even last 24 hours. I drove around 150 miles to get her home with no problem. When I got home a buddy came over to check her out. She started right up, ran approx. 10 seconds then died. I changed the CAM sensor and still nothing, lucky for me I found the new Ford part # so that only cost me $27. Tonight I found where people were talking about the HPOP reservoir. Checked it and it was empty, put oil in it and she started right up. So now my question, if the reservoir is not supposed to be empty then why was it? Please donít tell me that I have bought someone elseí headache.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You have a low oil pressure problem. Check the oil pressure gauge while cranking to see if it builds up pressure. If not then a manual gauge test needs to be performed at the rear adaptor plug on the oil cooler. The low oil pump g-rotor gears may be scored & possibly the timing cover scored also. Hope its just the g-rotor gears & not the cover. If the cover is damaged then the eng. will have to be pulled.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
After you filled it up did you have any major leaks. As in oil shooting out from it. There are O-rings and if they go bad you will have oil leaks like crazy. Just another thing to look at and for.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
HPOP Res could have been low b/c your crankcase oil level was low. Change the oil and check the o-rings on the hpop...should fix the problem. (Don't forget the oil filter.)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The oil pressure gauge on the dash does not really move until the engine is running and then shoots up to normal range. I changed the oil yesterday and I’m going to clean the engine today so that I can start looking for leaks with a clean slate.
Thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not know if this has anything to do with the low oil in the reservoir or not but today when I was driving the check engine light came on and then went off 3 times.

When I got home I had a friend check the codes. His code reader said injector control pressure below or above desired amount. That is not an exact quote but close.

The first time it came on I was passing, went from 55 to 85 quick. My friend asked if it was running bad, I told him that if it was then I going to have a lot of fun when it runs good. The next two times I was just driving about 70 -75.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'll lay you odds the g-rotor gears are scored enough to cause the resevoir to to stay dry till the pump can fill it slowly. Have had some w/ high mileage w/ the gears scored just enough that you have to crank it longer to build up enough pressure to fill the resevoir. When your driving it down the h/w it still has a problem keeping the resevoir full & will cause drivability problems. Keep us informed.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'm new to Powerstrokes so please excuses my ignorance but what are g-rotor gears, where are they, how do I check them.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
A note about oil pressure gages many are nothing more than an idoit light. They are controlled by an on and off switch, not a pressure transducer. So unless you have something different from the stock unit you will get only one of two readings no oil pressure or normal oil pressure.

Jim
Old 08-09-2007, 05:41 PM
7.3 tech, supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1401 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm new to Powerstrokes so please excuses my ignorance but what are g-rotor gears, where are they, how do I check them.
He is talking about the rotors inside the low pressure oil pump which when worn will not deliver enough oil pressure to the resivoir in turn starving the high pressure oil pump (also refered to as an HPOP), usually when this happens you do not get full power out of the motor as in 3/4 pedal feels the same as wide open throttle because there is not enough oil in the HPOP resivoir. like was said before you need to get a manual guage on the low pressure side and get readings at idle, high idle and under load and post them up and we can help you get her figured out.

hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.