2001 7.3 running rough - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 running rough

First, thanks for reading, new here. I have a 2001 7.3 4x4. Truck just turned 100K miles. Last week started up fine and left work, went about 1 mile, service engine soon light came on, engine died and would not restart. Replaced cps, no change, replaced IPR, no change. Had a tech come out, checked with his diagnostic computer and found if I remeber correctly, the injector module, (inside left front inner fender) was bad and replaced, also replaced both of the wiring harnesses under the valve covers. Truck started and ran smooth. The first time on the road the engine light came on and it ran rough for about a minute, cleared up and did fine for 3 days. Next problem for 2 days was starts up, light comes on, runs rough until up to operating temp, then light out and runs fine. Then on the next 2 days, starts up and runs smooth for about 6-7 miles, then light on and running rough. Now it is starting up with the check light on and running rough all the time. I was unable to get anyone to look at it and now with the holiday weekend it will be Tuesday before I can get it to anyone to check out. I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas?
Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

maybe a loose connection on the valve cover gasket. each side has a terminal for a connection.
im attaching a link to a thread about the info..

hope it helps
http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/foru...ht=valve+cover
Old 05-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply. After searching here I was thinking about the same thing. The guy that did the work did it so quickly, I was suspecting a loose connection somewhere and he is awol for the long weekend. I will pull the valve covers in the morning and give it a try and post back here what was wrong to be able to help others in the future.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Banned

since it smooths out after it warms up, i also might suspect an injector starting to go.....thats the exact way they do it........Marc
Old 06-02-2006, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Marc,
You got it dead on. Number 2 injector was bad, caused by water in the fuel. Have bought all my fuel for the last month at the same station, will be visiting them Monday with bill in hand, probably will not do any good, but does not hurt to try. This darn thing is getting expensive, like it knows when I have some spare money, just hope it now knows I am running out.

Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 014x4cc7.3
Marc,
You got it dead on. Number 2 injector was bad, caused by water in the fuel. Have bought all my fuel for the last month at the same station, will be visiting them Monday with bill in hand, probably will not do any good, but does not hurt to try. This darn thing is getting expensive, like it knows when I have some spare money, just hope it now knows I am running out.

Chris
im glad you got if fixed chris....sorry i didnt catch this post earlier than i did, i was on a camping trip when you origionally posted it so i was a little late answering......but i hope you enjoy the site and we will see ya around here....and if you have any more questions........the only stupid question around here is the one you dont ask....or the one that doesnt get "bumped" back up if it didnt get seen.................Marc
Old 06-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how did you determine that the injector was bad ? I'm having simular problems, rough idle, rough running, check engine light is on, no code is being set. I'm lost.

Jim
Old 06-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had a the same tech that replaced the pulse module and wiring harnesses under the valve covers check it, the computer indicated bad number 2 injector. He obtained a new one with his discount and replaced, parts and labor for 520.00. It was frustrating having to spend this after the previous repairs but after hearing what others paid for the same I am satisfied. Hopefully this takes care of things for awhile.

Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem rough runing

I replaced all my injectors then went to a shop they said # 5 and 8 injectors weren’t seeing the right voltages! So i replaced valve cover gaskets and harness! Got rid of the eng service soon light on this last test drive! But its still running rough at idle and when it shifts too sec it stumbles or kind of studers this seems to be constant when cold more so ! Any help greatly appreciated
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hello not trying to hijack but a buddy of mine is having simular issue. But his 99 with 120,000 miles is running rough. I told him to look into the fuel but it is still not smooth.
It is when it is hot and has been running for a while. I do not think he has the engine light on.
Help please so I can let him know.
Thanks in advance,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.