F250 Oil Leak Powerstroke Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 06:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 Oil Leak Powerstroke Diesel

I just bought a 2002 F250 Powerstroke Diesel 7.3L a month ago and am having a TON of problems. First I had a problem with the 4X4 engaging intermittantly on the drivers front wheel. I had to replace the locking bearing, and a lower bearing.

Then, I noticed the tie rod end to the pitman arm was loose and had slack in it. This all because the steering wheel had a ton of slack in it. So I replaced that.

THEN.... I noticed the same drivers side front wheel had a negative camber, so I had to fix the camber nut and get an alignment...... ( now up to $1500 in 5 days)

NOW, After getting an oil change I noticed dripping oil coming down from the passenger side of the oil pan. I took it to the boys at autotire to see if they just installed the filter wrong and just put a new one on. They said that the oil pan seal was bad. . . .

After doing some troubleshooting myself I have found oil was in the valley and saw that many people have had trouble with the high pressure oil line O-Rings.

Help anyone? I am having a ton of problems with a basically brand new 2002 f250 with only 43000 miles on it !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Is it still under warrenty? Probobly not. If you have oil in the valley it could be one of three things or all three. The hpop is leaking or the turbo pedistal orings are leaking, or the exhaust back pressure valve actuating arm on the turbo pedistal is leaking from a bad seal. When I Gutted my ebpv and replaced my turbo I was leaking from the pedistal orings and the seal from the actuating arm. Is the oil in the front or back of the valley?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM

Yes its still under warranty thank god and I am bringing it in this coming tuesday. I am starting to think I got a lemon.

It looks like a quart of oil towards the rear of the valley because the oil tends to be flowing back and alongside the back of the oil pan on the front passenger side.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Awesome you still have a warrenty. Well hopefully not as the 7.3's are pretty much bullet proof. There is some commen problems and those 3 seem to be kinda commen. Here is a pic of my turbo pedistal removed to help show you where the commen leak points occur there. If you have that much oil in the valley though I would suspect a bad oring or a loose plug on the hpop. If you look at the pedistal you will see the actuating arm on the left back side that is what opens and closes the exhaust back pressure valve to put a load on the engine for warm up. The seal can go bad on the actuating arm as you can see mine leaked. Also if you look on the top there is two holes or oil ports that engine oil flows to the turbo there is two on the bottom as well. Those are sealed up with orings that can go bad. Hope that helps you find the problem. I would clean up the oil and start the truck and see if you can find the leak.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:10 AM

That helps a ton. I knew this was a common problem but not on a 43k mile vehicle?! I am basically broke after buying this truck and fixing all those things. I didn't think it was normal to have to replace several bearings/tie rod end/O-ring a month into owning the truck.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Yeah that does suck and that is premature wear for the bearings I would think. Hopefully you get lots of use out of her after you work the bugs out. I have been lucky no serious problems yet. Good luck if you have more questions we all like to help out so let em rip. Also welcome to Powerstroke.org.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:00 AM
one day at a time

My brothers got a 2000 w/ 50k on it... He's running in to similar problems. I told him its because he doesn't drive it enough, or get on it when he does... He's got a company truck with a free OPEC card if you know what I mean so his SD sits in the garage. It looks pretty but these things need to be worked like they were made to do. Once you get it all straightened out, drive it like you stole it. Put a good load on it once in a while and you should be virtually trouble free!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 AM

Vitalidle , once this is fixed (o-ring kit etc) is it a repetitive problem or does it stay fixed.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

You should be good to go for a long time if you get the good viton orings they hold up against petroluem products, and are good high temp orings.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM

was the HPOP (high pressure oil pump)
and the IPR injection pressure regulator .... both bad

should cost me 100 bucks with warranty. Thinking of extending the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.