02 7.3L smoking, no power, no boost but high EGTs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3L smoking, no power, no boost but high EGTs

So a few days ago the 7.3 starts sputtering under load, going up hills, etc. Boost is about 17-19lbs typically, and it'll spike up to that amount, but then after a few seconds drop to 13-15. So, trying basics first, I change the fuel filter, but it wasn't really all that bad. The filter bowl looks fairly decent.

Problem only gets worse...sometimes white smoke when I goose the throttle, sometimes black smoke.

For the first 20 mins of driving, it'll be ok, but it'll get worse and worse until eventually I can't make more than 45mph...sputtering becomes pretty intense. Stop and let it cool for a few minutes and I'm back on my way...repeat this process several times. One thing I notice is that even though I'm only making about 5lbs of boost when it's really falling on its face, my EGTs are through the roof...1200-1400* even though I'm not making any power or boost.

I tried cleaning the K+N to make sure I'm not starved for air. Had the local shop pull the codes from the computer, and he said he was getting an ICP code and a bunch of scanner gibberish that made him think there was an aftermarket chip or tuner in the truck (I bought it used but it has Banks diesel stickers all over the truck). His thought was that the Banks chips are junk and I probably just needed to yank the chip.

So today I pulled the PCM out and opened it up...and there's nothing un-stock or aftermarket inside. Nothing that says Banks, and from images I've seen on the net it appears my PCM is bone stock.

:censord:

Is it possible the PCM was reflashed or something else crazy that damaged it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 03:40 PM
MARSOC > Seals

hey sorry I have no clue what is going on but hopefully someone or one of the techs will be able to help you out
Old 07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How many miles on the truck?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
have you made sure you dont have any leaks on your tubes? black smoke is unburnt fuel so your air to fuel ratio is off... spray some soapy water around all your boots and make sure their isnt any air coming out of those.... as for your question on maybe an aftermarket program on your rig it could be possible and no real way to find out..... either way if it did your boost numbers should be a lot higher than that.....

-Raul
Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 AM

Hey guys,
About 123K on the truck.

I'll check for a vacuum leak on the intake, intercooler, etc. I can see that causing the sputtering.

That was my thought as well, a truck that makes 17lbs of boost can't have that much of an aftermarket tune anyway...pretty sure my truck just has the intake/exhaust and that's it.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Also check to see your exhaust back pressure valve is opening.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 AM

Gotcha...how do I check that? What would cause it to stick?

Is the ICP code the scanner picked up a good indication that the problem is on the intake side?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

I don't think your ebpv is the total fix sounds like you might have some injector problems as well, but thought it might be part of the reason your getting high egt's. It can get sooted up and stick shut. Its a butterfly valve on the back side of the turbo that shuts to aid it engine warmup and opens after the engine comes up to temp. If you look on your turbo pedistal there is a shaft coming out of the side that will actuate the valve. You should be able to slide the clip and move the valve with your hand. I will see if I have any pics on this puter to give you an idea.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Banned

First thing i would look for.....look over the trans bellhousing from below and see if your Y pipes are leaking at the donuts by the turbo...

second thing i would do is take the EBP sensor tube off and clean it...see if its all plugged up with carbon...
Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

This is the turbo pedistal. That is what your turbo sits on. The shaft Im talking about is right on the left back side. That is what actuates your valve. If you find that its shut if you can get it open and while the truck is shut down unplug the two wire plug that is plugged into the front of the pedistal. That is the soloinoid you can see in the front. That will disconnect electrically the valve and it will not be in use anymore. It might not have anything to do with your issues but its worth a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.