2003 6.0 white smoke pouring out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 white smoke pouring out

what would cause white smoke to start pouring out of tail pipe and not stop even while idling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 PM

My guess would be head gasket or something similar. I know that when I've had fuel starvation/clogged fuel filter issues, there's been whiteish blueish smoke under load, but not at idle.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ford has a TSB for this issue:

TSB
06-2-13

* WHITE SMOKE, LACKS POWER, EXHAUST ODOR, SURGES, RUNS ROUGH, OR NO START - 6.0L

Publication Date: January 23, 2006

FORD:
2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2006 F-Super Duty
2004-2006 E-Series

ISSUE:

Some vehicles equipped with a 6.0L DI engine may experience white smoke, lacks power, exhaust odor, surges, runs rough, or no start. These conditions are caused by the injector spool valve sticking internally when cold. The concern is typically evident following a cold start and may last 3-5 minutes or longer as the vehicle warms up.
ACTION:

Diagnose these driveability concerns using the following Service Procedure.

NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE RUNS ROUGH OR HAS A MISFIRE WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, DIAGNOSE THOSE CONCERNS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THIS TSB.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: OIL ADDITIVES THAT INCREASE THE OIL'S VISCOSITY AND POOR MAINTENANCE CAN DELAY COMMANDED INJECTOR SPOOL VALVE RESPONSE. FAILURE TO CHANGE THE OIL ON A REGULAR BASIS AT THE PROPER INTERVAL WILL CAUSE THE INJECTOR SPOOL VALVE TO STICK WHEN COLD.

Refer to the owner's guide for recommended service intervals and oil grade/viscosity. Several oil changes with driving cycles may be required to "flush" the engine of residual additives and/or degraded oil.

NOTE: VEHICLE PERFORMANCE ISSUES RELATED TO FUEL QUALITY, MAINTENANCE AND AFTERMARKET MODIFICATIONS/ADDITIVES ARE NOT COVERED BY FORD MOTOR COMPANY WARRANTY.

Last edited by duramaxslayer; 07-15-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: to much info
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool RE: 2003 6.0 white smoke

I have an early 2005 F250 SD, that blows out white smoke just about all the time. I have been told it could be one of 3 things. Blown headgaskets, bad EGR cooler or the fact that I use synthetic oil in my truck. That last one could be just an excuse from the one of many Ford dealerships that I have taken it to. I have ordered a set of Hypermax wire ring headgaskets, that I will be having installed just in case it is the headgaskets.

Z
05 F250 SD, 6.0L w/ 6" suspension lift, 37" tires, 18x9 Moto Metal 951 rims, Bullydog PowerPup and Outlook monitor, Yukon 4.56 R&P front&rear, (4) 5150 Bilstein shocks and Bushwacker pocket style flares.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansfldcowboy View Post
what would cause white smoke to start pouring out of tail pipe and not stop even while idling?
Probably egr cooler having mine done right now.and it was thick white smoke.
egr probably has crack in it.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to SgtStroked7.3
I would say headgasket too, but thats probably me, i have the 7.3 but arent the 6.0's prone to headgasket problems? sounds to me like you are burning coolant.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to rednek01 Send a message via Yahoo to rednek01
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtStroked7.3 View Post
I would say headgasket too, but thats probably me, i have the 7.3 but arent the 6.0's prone to headgasket problems? sounds to me like you are burning coolant.
coolant runs thru the EGR cooler so thats where you are getting the white smoke from burning coolant!
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednek01 View Post
coolant runs thru the EGR cooler so thats where you are getting the white smoke from burning coolant!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've got an 03 6.0L and was having the same problem. White smoke pouring out of my exhaust. Everyone seemed to think it was the EGR Cooler, so I replaced it and my oil cooler, then my EGR valve. After that $2000 was spent, I learned it was an injector leaking and got to spend another $300.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

take your egr valve out its right behind your intake elbow two bolts and a little careful prying . if the bottom of the valve is wet its the cooler . look at your coolant if your coolant is disappearing this is also egr cooler . if you have a blown head gasket then your coolant will look like crap with oil and possibly fuel in it . as your cylinder pressure is higher than your water pressure it pushes out not sucking it in . if its a injector you should get a code for that cylinder . hope it helps good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.