2000 7.3 cold start problem! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 cold start problem!

I needs some help bad! 123,600 miles. My 2000 7.3 doesn't run right at idle when its cold and sometimes hot at start up. When the engine is cold I let the glow plug warm up and start it. When it starts either the engine will start loping reel bad and rocking the truck or it will start fine but give it alittle throttle and let off, it start loping again. Also for some reason my rpms will be at about 550 to 600. I dont really notice it to much when its warm but the rpms are still low. It works great other than that. All the fluids are good and at the right level. I have replaced my injector seals, HPOP seals, Fuel pressure reg, fuel filter, CPS and PCM. I do run a older superchip, but it does it even if there no programmer installed. I let it sit over night and checked the oil level in the oil res. on the front of the motor. It was about a half inch from the top. There is no oil leaking anyway on the motor either. I have had it at three different ford dealerships getting work done on it and metioned the problem and could never get any good answers. There are no DTC's and had the mechanic put a data monitor on it and take it for a spin. He said he did see anything wrong. If anyone could give me some advice that would be great.

Last edited by AlwaysBroken(FORD); 09-23-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Do a contribution test, you may have bad injectors.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im havin the same problem with my truck i just bought a 01 f350 C/C LB 4x4 with 320k and it drove fine for about 900 miles and then i started havin problems with my transmission so i took it to a tranny guy and he told me that i have some kinda wiring problem tthe truck was makin his scanner act crazy....so i took it to ford and told them about what the guy told me about the wiring problem and they never gave me a straight answer about it being a wiring problem... they gave me a code print out and i got a few codes and one said injection control pressure sensor circuit low.... my buddie told me its the injection pump... but my dad told me that 99 to 03 7.3 didnt have injection pump it has a heui injection system to where the injectors are there own pump...or somethin like that... is this true or not... these are the codes that showed up.... im young and just getting into diesels... so anything helps thank you very much

P0603 Internal Control Module KAM Error

P0732 Gear Two Ratio Error

P0781 1-2 Shift Malfunction

P1211 ICP Not Controllable - Pressure Abow/Below Desired

P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low

Last edited by Joshua Cole; 05-01-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM

Sounds like a bad ICP sensor. That's the sensor on the drivers side head behind the alternator it usually has oil in it when it goes bad
Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck stallions View Post
Sounds like a bad ICP sensor. That's the sensor on the drivers side head behind the alternator it usually has oil in it when it goes bad
ok cuz I figured it was injectors or somethin..... do u have any ideas about what that internal contol module code might be And one more thing in the mornins my truck shakes and runs rough
until it warms up but if I plug it in it fires right up.... I thought it was
glow plugs so I changed all of them and it does the same thing as before do you have any ideas about what that may be???? Thank u again for time
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 00 crew cab dually with 160,000 on it and a friend also has almost the same truck and mileage, only real difference is I have an auto and he has a six speed. It sounds like we have very similar problem, ours may be worse since we are in MN. So far I have put in new glow plugs, GPR, batteries, battery cables, starter, IPR, ICP, HPOP, valve cover gaskets and wiring harnesses, and injectors. I can get mine to start easily enough as long as it is 50 deg F or above. I have to cycle the key 2x for the full glow plug cycle then I crank the engine until I get white smoke from the tailpipe, then I cycle the key and wait for the WTS light to go off, then it starts. If the truck is plugged in it starts right up no matter how cold it is, but if it 90 deg F I still have to go throught my routine. With gauges installed in both heads and a scan tool hooked up I can see that the minimum cranking speed is met and the ICP indicates approximately the same pressure as the gauges. I have run out of things to check. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.