Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 F250 6.0L Chirp Noise

16K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  046L 
#1 ·
I have a "chirp chirp chirp" under the hood after the truck warms up. It follows along with the speed of the engine. It started intermittently about a month ago and only after the truck had been at interstate speeds for a couple hundred miles, got home from that trip and it seemed to disappear. Over the last couple weeks it reappeared and has steadily gotten worse to the point that once the truck is warmed up, it starts chirping again and doesn't stop.

Changed the belts (dual alternators) last weekend.. no change. Removed the belts this afternoon to see if I could isoloate to a pulley or alternator. Fired the truck up for a quick minute w/o the belts and it still chirps like a canary. Hard to isolate where it is coming from...

I've searched the boards high and low and didn't find anything that really describe this problem except for this vid:

It isn't my truck but the problem is identical except that there are no metal chips on my oil filter (oil is new as of a couple weeks ago).

Truck has 150k and typically runs like it was new.. just sounds like I have a cage full of birds under the hood. :)

Any help would truly be appreciated!! I really need this rig back on the road asap.

2004 F250 6.0L
Rotella T6 Synth 5W-40
No engine mods, no chips, oil and filters changed regularly

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. I'll look into it in the morning - took the day off to spend w/ the wifey since I've spent so much time at work lately :)

Sounds a lot like on the front, top, passenger side of the motor but I'll take a listen underneath and take the inspection cover off to check it out in the morning. Now that you mention it, the tranny is taking a good bit of time to warm up in the morning... Is this a common problem w/ the torqshift trans?

I see you're in Hillsborough.. I'm originally from west of Winston-Salem and went to school at NCState and the wife's family is in Burlington. Definitely miss the area, but work moves me around a lot and just got moved down here to SoFLA about a year ago..

#4 ·
OK.. this has been one helluva week with this.

After looking at it Monday, I could isolate the noise for the most part to the passenger side front of the engine. I took a "listening stick" (aka, a long thin piece of quarter-round.. basically a poor man's mechanic's stethiscope), and put it on the head just above the exhaust manifolds on both sides. LOUD noise at cylinder #1. Knew at that point it was internal and likely in the valvetrain area.

Took it to the Ford dealership and told the mechanic what I'd done/seen/heard. Just as I'm seeing on here more and more, it is likely a lifter on its way out. I don't think they needles have come out of it yet, but it's probably close.

So.... new short block, here I come. Should go in this week. I'll update on this thread since I'm sure that others will have the same issues..

#5 ·
Just to update.. Number 1 intake valve lifter was bad. Sticking when warm. Caught it soon enough that it didn't grind through and still had all of the needles in place on the roller. Was sticking though - severe flat spotting on the roller on the lifter and boogered up the cam lobe. Short block being installed in the next couple days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.