Moving and my truck broke down! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Moving and my truck broke down!

Ok I have a 1992 F-250 IDI with the 7.3L that I just bought about a month ago from a guy in Nebraska. It is a 4x4 regular cab, long bed has 137K on it. The only problem I have had with the truck is that my RPM gauge does not work but thats because that wire in the front of the engine that controls it, is shot. Second, the wait to start light only comes on every now and then, so it doesnt prime the injectors. Other than that the truck had been running ok.

I have been driving this truck flawlessly all week long trying to get moved out of my old house and into my new one. I was backing up to my trailer this morning and then all of a sudden the truck just died. Didnt spudder, just died. So I tried to restart it and and the engine turns over but it wont fire. But when you turn the key to the position to prime there is ticking noise that I can hear coming from the engine. I think it is coming from below my airfilter. It will tick for about 10 seconds, on 1 second intervals. Also the battery gauge is going haywire. It jumps around with each click I can hear. Truck wont fire at all and I have got to have this thing to finish hauling!

Could my fuel pump have gone out on me? I checked the battery terminals and all of that is hooked up good. Or could my solanoid gone bad?

I dont have the internet hooked up yet at my new house and I had to come over to my buddys to get on the internet to post this... so if anybody out there has a clue whats going on with my truck post up on here and I will try to have him check it or give me a shout on my cell phone at
(615)-390-6797. Any help is greatly appreciated because as of right now I am stuck! And have no clue what to do, I dont want to start replacing expensive parts without knowing that it's going to fix it.
I am in Lexington Kentucky if anyones around here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
I have called this member on the phone.. he is currently trying to continue moving using a friends car.

I'm not a mechanic, and know next to nothing about the idi engines. I am however going to keep an eye on this thread, and relay any information to him that the great folks here can offer.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
What about a CPS. I don't know if the idi's have them. But also if his wait light is not working maybe the ticking noise he is hearing is the gpr malfunctioning. Just some ideas on things to check on.

If he does have a cps I am sure it is in or close to the same location as the 7.3L's that do have the cps.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Is it even worth it???

I'm not positive.. but I'm somewhat sure that the idi's where a mechanical type injection.. no cps.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOBB View Post
I'm not positive.. but I'm somewhat sure that the idi's where a mechanical type injection.. no cps.

You are correct the injection pump is ran off a timing gear that is connected to the cam and crank timing chain. But I was not sure if they did or did not have a cps.

It also has a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine that feeds the injection pump.

The only other thing I can think of is the soleniod on the fuel injection pump has gone out.

If I was off work and down there I would go help him out. I just got done repairing one of these trucks. I had to build a wiring harness for it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

idi dont have a cps tell hile to check all the ralays, change the oil cause that can prevent it from starting,then next to the fuel filter their is a little thing that looks like an air nozzle that would go for a tire and pull the cap off and push in the button then crank it over and fuel should come out if not change the filter and check the lift pump but im really leaning twords the glow plug realay went bad
Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Ok, Well I just got back in from moving and I got the truck home. I have got some sort of gremlin in my electrical system. The truck turned over and started after about 10 seconds of cranking. On the way home my thermostat wasnt working (which it had worked flawlessly up untill this point). The truck ran great.. drove it home with no problems.

When I got back though I turned it off and then turned it back on and I could hear that relay clicking before the truck started. Then the second time I started the truck the relay continued to tick while the truck was running and my thermostat began to work.

Could all of these things revert back to my RPM gauge not working and that wire needing to be replaced? The relay clicking though sounds like its coming from right underneath my air filter.. anybody got any ideas what relays are there?

Aaron thanks again for your help today! Hopefully I will figure this thing out sometime soon...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Is it even worth it???

Hey man.. glad it got to running again for you.. hope you get some good answers to straighten it out.

No problem on the help.. glad to do it.. wish I could have done more.

We'll have to get together some time for a couple of beers or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.