Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 6.0 Help ! Need ICP air test fitting.

51K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  ps_lane01 
#1 ·
My 05 6.0 went down almost 2 weeks ago now. Drove home, parked in driveway and shut it off. Later went to restart, it'll crank until the batteries go dead, but no fire. Checked it with Genysis scanner, no codes, ICP desired was around 825#, actual was around 325#. Not enough to fire the injectors. Towed it into my shop and had a Tech buddy of mine come & recheck, then found desired pressure at 1125# and actual pressure at 1.75# ! Trying now to located an air test fitting to put in place of the ICP, so that we can pressure test the HPOP system for leaks. Found one on my Mac Tools truck, but it was $100 ! Anyone know where I can get my hands on one fairly cheaply ? Any help greatly appreciated, I miss my 6.0 !

#4 ·
I was able to get an air test fitting through my local Oreilly's. Which is due in Tuesday. I didn't have access to an old ICP & really didn't want to spend dough on a new one (if I didn't need to) just to be able to cut an ICP apart to make a fitting. Waiting on my Tech buddy & the air test fitting now.

#6 ·
I had actually found the part number directly from OTC. I had called OTC and was given a price that was not too bad, but I thought I could do better. Anyway you go, if you use the OTC part number 511671, it'll get you the 6.0 high pressure test fitting. All for around $15, shipping included.

#8 ·
Ok guys here's the latest. Using air test fitting, deterined high pressure system leak somewhere internal. Commandig IPR open and shut had no effect upon the leak. But, IPR duty cycle shows 15% key on, engine off. Upon cranking IPR duty cycle jumps to 85% duty cycle. As soon as cranking stops, duty cycle returns to 15%. I'm thinking bad IPR, thoughts? Also, in the scheme of the duty cycle, is it measured in % open, or % closed ?

#9 ·
I know it is off topic, but what did you use for your air test fitting?

#12 ·
Thanks m-chann. That's pretty much where we hit with testing results. Got a new IPR and removal socket from Snap on coming. hope to be back on the road soon.

#14 ·
this may be a stupid question... but where do you preform the test at? as in, where is that adapter screwed into?

#15 ·
On our 05's the ICP sensor is located near the front of the passenger side valve cover. You can remove the ICP, after unplugging the harness, & screw the air test fitting into that opening.

#16 ·
OH, haha, thanks! too many sensors...

#17 ·
Ok. Here's the latest on my delima: Found a tech with an IPR socket that I could get on loan, got another IPR, Installed IPR (what a PITA), reconnected everything, changed the oil & filter. I still have the same problem. All crank & no fire. Any other suggestions?

#20 ·
i just used a craftsman adjustable wrench, the one with the thin jaws... had it in the work truck. :dunno: it worked.

#18 ·
Sounds like you need to troubleshoot a leak in the High Pressure Oil system.

Reactions: renoyote
#19 ·
STC fitting on the HPOP. I just helped a friend fix theirs. It was leaking a huge amount, and wasn't sealing at all anymore. By the way, it's no easy task.

#21 ·
I made a ICP test fitting
ICP is Metric 12 1.50 bolt tread
here is the rundown:
-rifle a 12 1.50 metric bolt and cut the head off
-tap a brass 1/4 - 1/2 NPT bushing to the 12 1.50 m
-screw the rifled headless 12 1.50 bolt into the bushing and solder it
-add 1/2 npt to hose barb adapter
-put oring on bolt

For commanding the IPR shut
used an old IPR pig tail speaker wire a toggle switch on the positive wire and clips to the battery.
(getting your hand on to the ipr plug and swaping them is painful)
I will add pics

#23 ·
Sounds like the HpO pump, I had the same thing happen to my 06 F250 6.0L. I have 185,000 miles and always kept up with service. One morning I went to my truck and started it up, drove 30 min and shut it off. 20 min later i come back and wouldn't start. I hooked up the scanner and realized there wasn't enough pressure to start. Tore the top end and came to find out it was the HPO pump. I removed the ICP solenoid and saw the screen was cracked so ended up replacing that too so I wouldn't have to do double the work. Put everything back together and put fresh oil and filters and fired right up. Its about a little less then 600 for the pump and 175 for the ICP solenoid... Hopefully this helps, Just did mine three weeks ago

#24 ·
It was the pump leaking or was it just one of the fittings? digging that far into the engine it is probably worth putting the pump in anyhow. Also might as well do the EGR delete and oil cooler too...Waiting for CTS to get here to help me check a few things out and also for the next paycheck!

#26 ·
pull the driver and pass valve covers and air test again, if you dont hear any air coming from either heads then its either the STC fitting or the hpop. one word of advice, make sure you have base oil pressure before tearing in to the high pressure oil system. As if your lpop took a dump, you wont have any high pressure oil either.

#27 ·
Pretty sure he's got 'er licked by now :wink:

-jokester

Reactions: Tideman1
#29 ·
Lol atleast he didnt ask "did you ever get this figured out" cause you know the op is loooong gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Heavy_GD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.