2005 6.0 Help ! Need ICP air test fitting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 6.0 Help ! Need ICP air test fitting.

My 05 6.0 went down almost 2 weeks ago now. Drove home, parked in driveway and shut it off. Later went to restart, it'll crank until the batteries go dead, but no fire. Checked it with Genysis scanner, no codes, ICP desired was around 825#, actual was around 325#. Not enough to fire the injectors. Towed it into my shop and had a Tech buddy of mine come & recheck, then found desired pressure at 1125# and actual pressure at 1.75# ! Trying now to located an air test fitting to put in place of the ICP, so that we can pressure test the HPOP system for leaks. Found one on my Mac Tools truck, but it was $100 ! Anyone know where I can get my hands on one fairly cheaply ? Any help greatly appreciated, I miss my 6.0 !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can take an old sensor and cut the threads off and braze them to an air fitting.
O'reilly sometimes has them OTC tools has em as well. Some of our sponsers sell them as well I believe.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM

I was able to make one from hydraulic fittings from the local hose shop, but i don't remember how much i had in it... i like the cutting a sensor and brazing idea... are you able to command the IPR valve to max in order to test without tear down?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was able to get an air test fitting through my local Oreilly's. Which is due in Tuesday. I didn't have access to an old ICP & really didn't want to spend dough on a new one (if I didn't need to) just to be able to cut an ICP apart to make a fitting. Waiting on my Tech buddy & the air test fitting now.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:07 PM

that's good to know. what did you ask for? were they able to find what you wanted asking for a 6.0 air test fitting?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had actually found the part number directly from OTC. I had called OTC and was given a price that was not too bad, but I thought I could do better. Anyway you go, if you use the OTC part number 511671, it'll get you the 6.0 high pressure test fitting. All for around $15, shipping included.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Nice. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys here's the latest. Using air test fitting, deterined high pressure system leak somewhere internal. Commandig IPR open and shut had no effect upon the leak. But, IPR duty cycle shows 15% key on, engine off. Upon cranking IPR duty cycle jumps to 85% duty cycle. As soon as cranking stops, duty cycle returns to 15%. I'm thinking bad IPR, thoughts? Also, in the scheme of the duty cycle, is it measured in % open, or % closed ?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:25 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackwelding View Post
Ok guys here's the latest. Using air test fitting, deterined high pressure system leak somewhere internal. Commandig IPR open and shut had no effect upon the leak. But, IPR duty cycle shows 15% key on, engine off. Upon cranking IPR duty cycle jumps to 85% duty cycle. As soon as cranking stops, duty cycle returns to 15%. I'm thinking bad IPR, thoughts? Also, in the scheme of the duty cycle, is it measured in % open, or % closed ?
I know it is off topic, but what did you use for your air test fitting?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackwelding View Post
You should be able to hear a change in the leak sound, with the air line fitting connected, as you toggle through the various steps of the IPR duty cycle with the scan tool. Another thing you can try, is to supply your own power and ground directly to the IPR valve to close it. If no change in sound is heard, the IPR valve is likely bad. IPR valve duty cycle should indicate 14.84% at key-on/engine-off and max out at 84.77% if there is a problem with building sufficient ICP to start the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.