Engine knocking, down to my last vehicle! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 02:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine knocking, down to my last vehicle!

My spare truck just died and I'm down to the F-350 to drive now. I have a 1997 F-350 I bought to fix and use. I bought it knowing the tranny was locked up in gear. I took the ZF apart and found a broken shift fork, replaced it and it shifts fine. When I got it running I found it had a knock in th engine.I do not think it's not a bearing knock, it sounds like it's in the top end or front on the right passenger side. I've pulled the VC off and checked for broken rockers and the like and cannot find anything. I Even bought a stethescope and tried finding the noise to no avail. Iwas so frustrated the other day I held it at WOT for 30 Minutes trying to blow it up and the noise would not get any worse. It runs great, has good oil pressure, no check engine lights. I've tried dropping two cylinders at the time by unplugging the injectors and cannot find which or if it's a single cylinder problem. The guy I got the truck from told me the reason the company he got it from quit driving it was because of the tranny, I was advised of the knock, but for what I have in it it's worth fixing. I just need to know more before I tear the engine down. It sounds almost like a 350 chevy with a loose rocker arm.
I hate to try the local Ford dealer, the last time I took the sister truck to this one I bought around the same time for a dead miss, they told me it needed both VC injector harnesses, two injectors and an IDM, total $2658.58. I told them to put it back together I'd pick it up. After I found this site and found out how the HEUI system worked I found a broken injector wire on #1 for the ground signal between #1 and the IDM, cost $8.30 for the repair! The truck runs a lot better thanks to this site! Drop me a line if you can give me some insight, thanks, Floyd, TheEquineFencer@AOL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you happen to remove any of the glow plugs to see if the tips burnt off?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if your noise as you described sounds like a 350 chevy rocker arm loose , sounds to me like you have a lifter ticking to me , if this vehicle has sat for a bit , it may pump up and go way after some driving , if vehicle is running fine drive it , it may be a problem that has to get worse before accurate diag can be done , fuel pressure can also cause a knock in 7.3 but its usualy a pretty loud knock
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Hey Floyd.. sounds like you are getting good advice, and Scuffy is one of the good ones. I'm not an expert, so I'll leave the diagnostics to him.

Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

thanks aaron , i guess i got you fooled
Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a pretty loud knock. I had the door open to my shop and my neighbor drove up outside, 60ft away and asked what was knocking so bad! It's been run a while. Can I pull the pushrods out one cylinder at the time and run it or will it knock the lifters out of the lifter bores?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEquineFencer View Post
This is a pretty loud knock. I had the door open to my shop and my neighbor drove up outside, 60ft away and asked what was knocking so bad! It's been run a while. Can I pull the pushrods out one cylinder at the time and run it or will it knock the lifters out of the lifter bores?
i wouldnt tar into the motor until further diagnosis had been done , if you have the means , i would run a fuel pressure test first , should be around 55 lbs give or take a few lbs at idle , if that tests good , if it was mine i would cancel each cylinder also one at a time with valve covers off , if noise quits on one cylinder could also be a bad injector , but not bad enough to cause skip, i have seen one injector lean out from being possibly clogged which can cause knock due to lack of fuel in that cylinder , i guess what im getting at is any lack of fuel in any cylinder can cause a knock , if that doesnt help well dig deeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.