2006 No-start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 No-start

I have a 2006 250 6.0 and the other night i was idling through a parking lot and she shut off on me, Now it wont start, only cranks. I towed it home, and checked the dtcs and a p2291 came up (low injection pressure-engine cranking) so it seems like it has a bad ICP IPR or HPOP? right?
I hooked up the scanner and cranked it, it was showing 1.89 MPA (or like 275 psi??) and when I unplugged the ICP it was showing 10.18 mpa (1470 psi) So my question, is where do i go from here.. I got back to the IPR to unplug it and people said when theirs was bad it leaked and oil was all over the plug, but mine is very clean. I dont know. I have had this truck for about 6 weeks and to be honest dont know much about powerstrokes. Any idea or help will be very much appreciated. I just dont want to start tearing stuff apart that doesnt need to be apart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

unplug your IPR valve and try cranking it and see if you receive the same ICP reading. HPOP aren't very common on this year. However the STC fitting right by the HPOP is a common concern, To diagnois high pressure oil leaks the recommended procedure is to apply air pressure through the icp sensor or the plug on top of the HPOP. Oh and by the way the oil leak in the connector is from the ICP sensor not the IPR valve. Based on the symptom and the extremely low ICP reading it almost sounds like a bad IPR valve, but it still needs to be diagnosed instead of just throwing parts at it.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ahh, a bit of sense in this chaotic powerstroke world.. I have to admit I do not know much about powerstrokes. I am a cummins guy up til this point. So, I do have the IPR valve unplugged right now, I will crank it in the morning and see what kind of readings I get.. What should I expect to see if the valve is good, or readings if it is bad? Would a STC fitting leak be visible from the top of the engine? I see what I think is the HPOP and I see a blue rubber hose maybe about 1" coming off it. There is no leaks visible, and the engine valley seems pretty clean. maybe I am way off with what I am thinking.. thanks for the response. keep it coming.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The STC fitting is located under the aluminum cover that is right under the IPR valve. Need to remove the turbo to remove the cover. The IPR valve is a normally open valve that closes with power to it. It dumps the excess oil that is pumped by the pump. Closed valve equals higher ICP pressure. If you get the same readings while cranking with it plugged in as you do with it unplugged then there is a fairly good chance that the valve could be bad. I attached removal instructions for the IPR valve, it calls for a special socket. Otherwise you need to remove the turbo and find an 1-3/8 wrench or crowsfoot socket to remove the valve.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 06 IPR valve.pdf (123.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, gotcha.. So, I am going to crank it with the ipr unplugged. if i get the same voltage.. 275 psi, then the ipr is probably bad, and I should replace it. if the the pressure is higher, would that indicate that the valve is ok, and I should check the STC fitting? Would you recommend checking the STC fitting before I remove the valve covers to check for a leak in there?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With the IPR disconnected I got 2.15 mpa or 311 psi. So Im guessing that indicates a bad IPR valve..
question. Would that only have made it a hard or no start, or make it stall. my truck stalled on me while idling through a parking lot, and then wouldnt start..
Thanks agian for the help.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

crank with it unplugged and then plugged in one right after the other so that you can compare the readings with the same oil temp, you should never get a higher reading with it unplugged. unplugged is defaulted open. and a bad IPR usually doesn't give a hard start, just a stall or no start.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

alright, i think i got it then, IPR will be coming off, I suppose.. thanks.. I will keep you updated
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

okay sounds good.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I took out everything, turbo, hpop, ipr, valve covers, everything. It all seemed good, except for the IPR. there was a big hole in the screen. It looks like someone has been in there before, there was an upgrade, the bracket that goes over the hpop and stc bolts. So, that is interesting. I got all the upgrades from a local ford mechanic, who was a life-saver. he gave me everything new. stc fitting, o-rings, gaskets, and ipr.. should go back in in the next couple days.. will let you know how it goes.. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.