coolant puking, please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant puking, please help!

I'm pretty new to the forum, I have lurked for a while but didn't own an excursion until recently, sadly I wish I didn't dive in like I did.

I love the truck, when I bought it it ran good, its an 05 excursion with the 6.0... I thought these were the better years built with less issues.... NOT

My truck had a CEL, so I had it check it was actually 3 issues, cam position, crank position and ICP pressure low... but the truck ran good. I notice it start puking coolant from the degas bottle. Reading a bit further this seems to be either a EGR/oil cooler failure or head gaskets....

Then out of no where the truck wouldn't run, it kept stalling, I mean like every couple hundred feet stalling, my mechanic thinks one of the check engine light sensors probably died, causing the issue with it running, I priced all three sensors and they are reasonable to replace.

What I need to know now, is there a concrete way to tell if the truck needs head gaskets or the egr cooler/oil cooler replaced? What tests can I run? Or have ford run? I can swing getting the coolers replaced but the 4k needed to do headgaskets was kinda out of my budget right now. The truck loses some coolant but not much, but it is puking, so I think that's where I'm losing it.

Also should I go with a EGR cooler from bullitproof diesel or remove it entirely?

Any guidence is appriciated at this point, ford said that they can't trouble shoot the coolant issue until its running, so I'm working on that now, but obviously I can't leave the engine the way it is...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PROCTORVILLE OHIO
Posts: 679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONAGER View Post
I'm pretty new to the forum, I have lurked for a while but didn't own an excursion until recently, sadly I wish I didn't dive in like I did.

I love the truck, when I bought it it ran good, its an 05 excursion with the 6.0... I thought these were the better years built with less issues.... NOT

My truck had a CEL, so I had it check it was actually 3 issues, cam position, crank position and ICP pressure low... but the truck ran good. I notice it start puking coolant from the degas bottle. Reading a bit further this seems to be either a EGR/oil cooler failure or head gaskets....

Then out of no where the truck wouldn't run, it kept stalling, I mean like every couple hundred feet stalling, my mechanic thinks one of the check engine light sensors probably died, causing the issue with it running, I priced all three sensors and they are reasonable to replace.

What I need to know now, is there a concrete way to tell if the truck needs head gaskets or the egr cooler/oil cooler replaced? What tests can I run? Or have ford run? I can swing getting the coolers replaced but the 4k needed to do headgaskets was kinda out of my budget right now. The truck loses some coolant but not much, but it is puking, so I think that's where I'm losing it.

Also should I go with a EGR cooler from bullitproof diesel or remove it entirely?

Any guidence is appriciated at this point, ford said that they can't trouble shoot the coolant issue until its running, so I'm working on that now, but obviously I can't leave the engine the way it is...

Thanks
Depends where you live ,most of us just do the egr delete sinsiter delete is a good one think you can offer 260.00 on e-bay now and they will let it go for that also do a oil cooler rebuild when you do the delete < thats what makes the egr go bad stoped up > I have 2 of the rebuild kits 175.00 plus shipping .If you have to pass a smog or emmisions test where you live I would do the bulletproof egr replacement, and the oil cooler rebuild.Of course you might have other issues if it's the head gaskets. I wouldn't drive it any more than I possibly had to so you don't get any more damage.
Someone that knows more will pop up with some answers, post what codes it was pullin.

Jer-1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:28 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!





 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Posts: 15,612
Thanks: 109
Thanked 167 Times in 132 Posts
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I will let the more experienced people give you more technical advice on testing the issues you are talking about. What I will tell you is as far as deleting the cooler, make sure what kind of emission testing, if any, you have in your area. I have been wanting to do the delete myself but after talking to an emission tester in my area, I was informed that they look for the cooler and if it is gone = FAIL. I am going to do the block off until I get more$$$ for the bullet proof cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
My 6OH Hates Me


 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Nexus of the Universe
Posts: 24,731
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
pull your egr valve, look down the hole. If it is wet, your cooler is shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,824
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunninpig View Post
pull your egr valve, look down the hole. If it is wet, your cooler is shot
If its dry, its the head gaskets.

How many miles on truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 94
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The truck has 128,000 miles on it, I have the oasis report and the truck previous had the head gaskets and heads replaced twice before! once at around 30,000 miles and again at around 60,000! The EGR was also replaced at other intervals

So it has been solid for 2-3 years and 60000 miles, I have only had the truck a few months, I live in florida and we have no emissions. Some said keep it the egr, but at this point I'm looking for rock solid reliability, and that system seems uncapable of that

I'm just very upset, I spent extra on the diesel for the reliability, and sadly that doesn't appear to be the case....

What is the likely hood the heads are warped? Light machining is fine, but if the heads are bad the price could skyrocket...

I'm hoping its just the egr and oil cooler.

What does an oil cooler rebuild kit include? Can't I just replace the oil cooler core?

The Codes were
P2285 injector control pressure sensor circuit low
P2614 camshaft position signal output ckt open
P2617 crankshaft position signal output ckt open

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm in a bad place right now financially, and this truck is making it worse..

Anyone know a good mechanic in fl, who works on the cheap?

Last edited by ONAGER; 03-03-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: add a word, corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: PROCTORVILLE OHIO
Posts: 679
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool


Quote:
Originally Posted by JER-1 View Post
Depends where you live ,most of us just do the egr delete sinsiter delete is a good one think you can offer 260.00 on e-bay now and they will let it go for that also do a oil cooler rebuild when you do the delete < thats what makes the egr go bad stoped up > I have 2 of the rebuild kits 175.00 plus shipping .If you have to pass a smog or emmisions test where you live I would do the bulletproof egr replacement, and the oil cooler rebuild.Of course you might have other issues if it's the head gaskets. I wouldn't drive it any more than I possibly had to so you don't get any more damage.
Someone that knows more will pop up with some answers, post what codes it was pullin.

Jer-1

Rebuilt kit is the cooler core and all new gaskets have 3 left 190.00 shipped to fla. Kit FORD PART # 3C3Z-6A642-CA
New just no box ALL gaskets are still in factory sealed package.
JER-1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors