6.0 low power, gauges acting weird - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 low power, gauges acting weird

Went to Phoenix today,about 80 miles. Truck ran fine, didnt notice and problems.Stopped at Harbor Freight for 30 minutes, came out and forgot I was in the diesel and just started cranking the engine,didnt wait for the glow plugs.It cranked longer than normal,started and died,cranked, wouldnt start, cranked start and die. all the time the glow plug light comes on for just a second and goes out, seems other lights near it are too.Truck starts, seems to run fine,drive a couple blocks, go eat lunch.Hour later I went out to start, turn key, glow plug light goes out after 1-2 seconds.Turn key off, back on, same thing.Tried cranking, start,die,start die, finally lit off and seemed to run fine.Took that as an omen and decided to cut trip short and head for the barn(home) 80 miles away.Notice at idle the oil gauge drops to nothing, over 750 rpms its above 1/2 way.Under 750 it drops like it was unplugged.Just on or off.Check oil, got lots.No smell on oil, no sparkles.Engine sounds normal,but the oil gauge keeps doing its on/off thing.Convinced its not a real oil pressure issue, or at least hope like hell it isnt and drive off.Low power, runs fine, just not much happens if you nail it.Runs fine all the way home, as long as rpms are over 750 I got over 1/2 on the oil gauge, one rpm under and it falls to nothing.No smoke, no weird noises.Get home use the SCT tuner to check for codes, says I have none.Install stock tunes, turn key, glow plug light acts normal, but truck doesnt start right, still the start,die, start, die, finally go, sounds fine, oil gauge doing same weird thing,same as before.check codes on stock tune, have 2 that are EGR related, and since I have an EGR delete,I expected that.Engine acts like its getting no boost, I have no boost gauge so dont know that for sure. I hear no whistle, or sucking sounds,just put new intercooler boots on.I have had the truck 8-9 months, and the turbo has always made a "whirring" sound.A friend who is on his 4th 6.0 said it was normal.I bought a used turbo and put on, sounds the same.I did a clean job on both turbos and both looked ok. Truck is a 2004,made late,F-350 chassis truck with service bed on it.Weighs about 8800lbs, has a River city Diesel EGR delete kit and a SCT tuner with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel. How do I check to make sure I do have good oil pressure?I'm thinking if I didnt , driving 80 miles would have caused a few new rattles.Something else, that I'm not sure of , but it seemed like when we got to town the speedo seemed to read fast.Girlfriend even said there was no way I was going 40 in 25,I had to agree with her.Now we did just get off the highway at 65 mph so maybe we just wernt used to slow. But it did seem to be 10-15 mph fast, but seemed ok on the highway.Bottom line, oil gauge drops to none at low rpms and low power. What to check next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dammit, went out today to see if after it cooled off if it was any different. Lights all seemed normal, glo plug light stayed on for 10-15 seconds, went out, engine cranked, didnt fire, cranked for maybe 20 seconds total, then its like the engine locked up or batterys so low it wont crank it. Batterys are about year old, never gave me any trouble yet.Got the trickle charger on over night.I'm thinking I need to move tools back to the old GMC so I can work next week.I was going to pull oil filter and see if it was full of metal bits. Where do I go from here? I'm thinking engine is toast or hydrauliced with fuel? I dont suppose JC Whitney has a rebuilt kit for the 6.0 diesel for 29.95 do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.