6.0 stutters/hiccups/blows smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 stutters/hiccups/blows smoke

6.0 hiccups and blows black smoke...usually when heading up a good hill or mountain around 50-65 mph 2,000-3,000 rpm. (2005 f-350 6.0, 112,000 miles)

At first I thought it was fuel related/cold temps outside, adding diesel supplement seemed to help, but not anymore. Changed both fuel filters twice, and changed air filter after noticing a "flapping" noise coming from intake...still no luck. Hooked it up to snap-on computer and it came back telling me trouble with 8th cylinder....but then when the shop started it up the next day, the code wasn't there and the truck wasn't acting up, so I drove it down the road, got five miles away, and it started acting up again. I took it back to the shop, and it didn't show a single dang code. Did an injector test with the computer and everything showed fine.
Best I can describe it is a stutter/hiccup with a flapping noise coming from the front intake side (next to radiator) and seems to miss like crazy. Haven't had any luck with finding any fuel/water strips to test it, but have run tank just short of bone dry, changed filters, and put heat in with new tank of diesel. Have been getting diesel from different truck stops, so I can't exactly rule out the gas station, if fuel seems to be the culprit. Ran it today to the jobsite and ran fine for the first half the day, then this afternoon it started acting up again. Thought it might be EGR, but again, not getting any codes.
Thanks for ya'lls help in advance!!
Great site, I just became a member, but I've been following for a good long while and have learned a good bit!
-Jarrett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would love to see the response to this one. I have kept my EGR valve cleaned. It has new injectors(less than 3,000 miles,) and best of all(or worst), I am having the same problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll let you know how it goes, sc6.0.

I was bringing the truck to my sawmill so I could take the egr valve out and clean it when I pulled off to fill her full of diesel and grab some breakfast myself. I left the filling statation, was a mile away and heading up a hill when what would normally be dark blue/black smoke changed to light blue and started pouring out. Smelt like half burnt fuel. The truck began running real rough (felt like I was in an older semi, shaking like hell), but no bucking or sputtering, just ROUGH!!! I got it to the sawmill, took out the egr valve, soaked it in injector cleaner, making sure to keep the weepholes dry, replaced the gasket and o rings, cleaned out the bore, reinstalled everything, and problem wasn't solved one bit. I had enough, so I took it to Ford and they already had 5 6.0 trucks in the shop and three in the parking lost waiting to get fixed. Mine is on the list to give the mechanics a fit first thing monday morning.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 AM

Oddly enough, mine started right after a fill up...I pulled off, drained the fuel/water separator and drove home. I replaced my filters and drained off a good bit of the fuel. Then, the next afternoon, the water in fuel light comes on. I pull off the road immediately, and opened the separator again. No significant water, but some nonetheless. I called and let the station know there was water in the fuel and they referred me to their regional manager who never returned my call. Then, I again changed the filters and problem was solved, until my next fill up. The water in fuel light comes on again, so I immediately drained the separator and again, a new set of filters(I sent the oil co. the bill). Things went fine, and now this...It does not do this cold, only when the truck has been running for about 15 minutes does it start. I checked and I am getting good boost out of my turbo as this was just a hunch. Then, I thought that maybe it was my egr valve, removed it, cleaned it doing just as you did. Took it out for a drive and once it got warm, it started again. It pulls good until a hill or I slow for a 35 zone or something and then when I ease back into the pedal...it starts...A puff of black and white smoke, and then it starts pulling like hell again, at least until I slow down...and then it repeats. No continuous plume of smoke, just at that moment. Like I stated, my turbo is spooling up and I am getting good boost, but little to no response until it pushes out a puff of smoke, and then it is off to the races again...I am getting my truck checked Saturday.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Def. get it checked out soon...I count on my truck to get materials and equipment to the jobsite, so I slacked on getting it to the dealership and now that it acts up all the time, I'm afraid I've got two components failing instead of just one. If it was an older diesel that I couldn't hook up the computer to, i would almost guess it was running away from the fuel, but pressures check fine, and like you, my injectors are new, so is my FICM. Two things that have been brought to my attention are the EGR Cooler and/or clogged turbo vanes. EGR cooler is at the top of the list since egr valve was dirty as all get out, although I was able to move the valve with ease and the build-up didn't seem to hamper the valve closing....and also because its a hell of a good bit cheaper to change cooler than to rebuild/replace turbo!!
I love my truck, short bed dually crew cab workhorse, but I spent last night looking at SIMPLE inline cummins engines with minimal intake/exhaust hoses. Almost felt like I was cheating on my wife!
Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarretts View Post
6.0 hiccups and blows black smoke...usually when heading up a good hill or mountain around 50-65 mph 2,000-3,000 rpm. (2005 f-350 6.0, 112,000 miles)

At first I thought it was fuel related/cold temps outside, adding diesel supplement seemed to help, but not anymore. Changed both fuel filters twice, and changed air filter after noticing a "flapping" noise coming from intake...still no luck. Hooked it up to snap-on computer and it came back telling me trouble with 8th cylinder....but then when the shop started it up the next day, the code wasn't there and the truck wasn't acting up, so I drove it down the road, got five miles away, and it started acting up again. I took it back to the shop, and it didn't show a single dang code. Did an injector test with the computer and everything showed fine.
Best I can describe it is a stutter/hiccup with a flapping noise coming from the front intake side (next to radiator) and seems to miss like crazy. Haven't had any luck with finding any fuel/water strips to test it, but have run tank just short of bone dry, changed filters, and put heat in with new tank of diesel. Have been getting diesel from different truck stops, so I can't exactly rule out the gas station, if fuel seems to be the culprit. Ran it today to the jobsite and ran fine for the first half the day, then this afternoon it started acting up again. Thought it might be EGR, but again, not getting any codes.
Thanks for ya'lls help in advance!!
Great site, I just became a member, but I've been following for a good long while and have learned a good bit!
-Jarrett
You won't necessatily get a code when the EGR is sticking. I never got a code with mine when it was acting up and it did exactly the same thing that you are describing. I bet you can get it to puff smoke when the cruise is set and you start up a hill? You need to REPLACE the EGR valve and I bet your problem will be gone. Hope this helps a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc6.0 View Post
I would love to see the response to this one. I have kept my EGR valve cleaned. It has new injectors(less than 3,000 miles,) and best of all(or worst), I am having the same problem.
Cleaning usually won't fix the problem depending on how bad it is. REPLACE the EGR valve.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Interesting, mine is doing the exact same thing. Assuming it makes it back home (1700 miles away!!) , I hope it can visit the mechanic this weekend.

I think perhaps replacing the EGR (to make sure it is in the right position) and then deletion might be in order. I've heard pros and cons of this, and want to see what the mechanic says about it. I love the idea of increased fuel millage. (assuming what I hear is true)

Anyhow, please let us know if this resolved your problem. This information would help someone else.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Harley View Post
Interesting, mine is doing the exact same thing. Assuming it makes it back home (1700 miles away!!) , I hope it can visit the mechanic this weekend.

I think perhaps replacing the EGR (to make sure it is in the right position) and then deletion might be in order. I've heard pros and cons of this, and want to see what the mechanic says about it. I love the idea of increased fuel millage. (assuming what I hear is true)

Anyhow, please let us know if this resolved your problem. This information would help someone else.
There are no cons to deleting the EGR system, will only help you out.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Jarrett....This is pretty dadgum embarrassing, but I found the problem....Myself before hitting the mechanic...I drained my water fuel separator, just had that little "hunch" about something if you will. As I got underneath the truck, I noticed a slight bit of diesel fuel on the frame rail and the drive shaft...I replaced all o-rings and filters and the problem has not resurfaced. I believe I got it. Hope you get it worked out...Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.