sticking turbo?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sticking turbo??

04 F250 6.0
When I press on the gas truck runs very sluggish, then will blow out a cloud of smoke and run fine. This only happens at complete stops and the truck runs and idles fine otherwise. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
04 F250 6.0
When I press on the gas truck runs very sluggish, then will blow out a cloud of smoke and run fine. This only happens at complete stops and the truck runs and idles fine otherwise. Any ideas?
I had the same problem a month or so ago. I pulled the egr valve and was all kinds of ganked up. The valve would not move. I cleaned the hell out of it, put it back in and it ran great for about 10 miles. pulled it again cleaned it and the valve still wouldn't move. so i forced it closed and welded it shut, put it back in, and unplugged the valve and everything has been great since. I have not got a cel at all yet from unplugging it. I have heard that our '04's don't throw a cel like other years. I am saving $$$ to do a full delete but this works for now. hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Thats great news!! time to fire up the old welder and get to work. thanks for the reply
Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Quote:
Thats great news!! time to fire up the old welder and get to work. thanks for the reply
No problem... there are 2 o-rings on the valve that you will need to remove carefully as not to ruin them so that you can reuse them. try to use a clamp or something to keep the valve closed when welding. mine tried to open a little while welding. I haven't done it yet but blocking off the egr cooler from the up pipe would help from what i have been told. there is a good thread here about all of this. I could try to see if i have a quick link to it if you can't find it. Good luck and let me know how it all works for ya.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are some cheap block off kits out there.. A ton of different ones too..
Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkcr View Post
There are some cheap block off kits out there.. A ton of different ones too..
Yeah there are... I went to the diesel shop to get their 1.5" block off plate but the last one they had was already sold. I looked at it and wasn't anything but a thin piece of metal so i found a piece that i can get like 6 plates out of. going to try to make my own just haven't had time yet.

Last edited by Rattlesnake18; 02-16-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
Yeah there are... I went to elite diesel to get their 1.5" block off plate but the last one they had was already sold. I looked at it and wasn't anything but a thin piece of metal so i found a piece that i can get like 6 plates out of. going to try to make my own just haven't had time yet.
Oh ya, definitely.. Even the most complicated kits can be duplicated if you have enough time.. Like Adams complete delete from FCDP that I bought. It really wouldn't be too terribly hard to make, just the time and accuracy was too much for me, so I forked out the $$$ to make sure it was right. And I have yet to be disappointed.. I unplugged mine and put up with the light for a while. Now that it's deleted I definitely need a new tune. But the $$$ situation is preventing..
Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM

I have the EGR delete on my 05, so thats not a prob. I just cleaned my EGR valve, it was caked in the black stuff. I'm gunna see if it drives better before i weld it, did you just weld around the bottom of the valve? and do you have to weld anywhere else on the valve?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM

if your looking for the up-pipe block off, I welded a freeze plug on my buddies truck and it worked great
Old 02-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
if your looking for the up-pipe block off, I welded a freeze plug on my buddies truck and it worked great
The prob with welding a plug is that they can crack out.. There's a lot of heat running through those up pipes man..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.