extreme loss of power? 6.0 diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation extreme loss of power? 6.0 diesel

I have a 2006 f250 fx4 6.0 diesel. recently i was driving down the road and my truck lost all power and wouldnt run over 1000rpms??? if i turn the truck off and restart, it will resume normal power and drive fine for a little bit.. but the problem keeps happening over and over. as long as i keep restarting its fine.. could someone please help me out before i take it into the shop.. i keep getting DTC P0404, P0487, P1000 thanks alot

Last edited by Dman85; 02-14-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: adding DTC information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman85 View Post
I have a 2006 f250 fx4 6.0 diesel. recently i was driving down the road and my truck lost all power and wouldnt run over 1000rpms??? if i turn the truck off and restart, it will resume normal power and drive fine for a little bit.. but the problem keeps happening over and over. as long as i keep restarting its fine.. could someone please help me out before i take it into the shop.. i keep getting DTC P0404, P0487, P1000 thanks alot
Are you getting puffs of black smoke when it loses power?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

It is programmatically going into limp mode. Either something is wrong and is sending codes to the PCM or FICM which is putting it in limp mode. Or, the PCM or FICM is bad. Are you getting a check engine light?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes i did notice puffs of black smoke the first time it happened, the check engine light doesnt come on. i have a bully dog GT tuner on it but it is set on the stock tune
Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

From what I can find p0404 and p0487 both indicate an EGR problem.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks alot.... should i replace the egr or just buy and install the delete kit?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

You can try removing the ERG valve, cleaning it and reinstall it to see if that helps. It's pretty easy to do and you don't need to remove anything else to do it. If that solves the problem, it'll give you some time to decide if you want to do a full EGR delete.

The EGR delete is not difficult, but done right it takes a few hours.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks alot, i cleaned the egr and unplugged it for now it seems to be working fine... im wanting to order the egr delete asap but im kinda confused on what to exactly to order??! ive read so many dif things on here im kind of lost on what exactly to do. if you could lead me in the right diection ( step by step) on what to do, i would really appreciate the help. im new to all this internet forum stuff so bear with me.. thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

If you have the EGR valve unplugged you may get a CEL (just FYI).

There are a number of way to do an EGR delete. If you are not worried about passing a visual emissions inspection in your state, I suggest completely eliminating the EGR cooler because that will eliminate future failure of the cooler. If the cooler is eliminated, you need to replace the up-pipe with a straight pipe. Most EGR Delete kits provide all the parts you need. I used the Sinister Diesel kit that I bought on Ebay.

When you removed your EGR valve, you saw the crud on the valve. That stuff is all through your intake manifold. It is possible to delete the EGR cooler without totally removing the intake manifold, but I recommend removing the manifold and cleaning it out. If you do this, you'll need new intake gaskets.

Depending on how many miles you have on the truck, you may want to replace the oil cooler while your at it. Most dealers replace the oil cooler when they replace a failed ERG cooler because it is often the source of the failure. Casting sand from the engine block can clog the coolant passages in the oil cooler. This restricts the coolant to the EGR cooler and causes it to overheat and fail.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck has 119000 miles on it.. i just called and ordered a sinister egr delete kit .. thanks alot for all the help..

Last edited by Dman85; 02-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.