Engine Sputters and Shuts Off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Engine Sputters and Shuts Off

2001 F250

- Truck died, 30A fuse for PCM / Fuel Heater / IDM relay blows when I turn the key forward.
- I have unplugged the fuel heater and replaced the fuse. The truck does not start, it just cranks over.
- I can not even pull start the truck (it’s a manual)
- The WTS light illuminates on the dash.
- All fuses are now intact.
- Batteries are hooked up to a charger
- RPM's register when cranking and I replaced the CPS
- Truck starts without ICP sensor plugged in.
- Replaced ICP and does the same thing.

Thanks
Justin

Last edited by Marty; 02-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
7.3's only need fuel pressure, oil pressure, Power with electrical continuity and air to run. Go ahead and scratch air off the list since I'm sure you are getting that.

The first and easiest way to diagnose (always the best place to start) is with a FORD scanner, Auto Enginuity, Snap-On brick scanner, etc... You need to have a scanner that actually WORKS on Ford Powerstroke Diesels in order to get these readings. Here are a few items you should get off the scanner. Codes, are there any? Is there an SES (Service engine soon, check engine light) on when it's idling? If there are no codes then you should perform a Buzz test to double check good connection with the injectors. This could identify if you have an issue with your UVCH, Electrical wiring on the motor or IDM. If you pass those tests then you need to check ICP and the IPR duty cycle. When cranking on the truck you should watch your ICP quickly jump from 0 psi to 15, 100, 250, 400+ psi and once it goes past 400 psi it should start. Meanwhile your IPR should be ramping up in a similarly quick fashion while cranking. You should see 9 - 14 volts with the key on depending upon the condition of the IPR. It should ramp up from 14 to 20, 25, 30, 32 etc... and level out around <35 psi in order to start. If it ramps up to 65, 75, 85 etc, there is another issue at hand. Watch your ICP/IPR while idling. ICP should stay around 500-700 psi and IPR should stay around 9-14v. Finally if all that passes, we need to know what your fuel pressure is when you turn your key on, while you're cranking and once it is started. The truck may start and sputter if you're getting 20 psi or less... but most likely this isn't your problem. I have seen trucks with dead pumps get started and then the injectors siphoned enough fuel to stay running even though the gauge showed 0 psi of fuel pressure.

I hope this has helped you. The results of these tests will diagnose probably 97% of the problems on a powerstroke.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Emergency Services

If the 30A fuel heater (and other stuff) fuse blew, then you probably have a short in the fuel heater. I am not sure if it is related to the other problem, but you may want to unplug the fuel heater from the fuel bowl till you get it fixed, replaced, or deleted.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Well I changed my batteries andoil sensor on top of hpop truck start and runs fine again for now anyway ???? Waiting on a guy to come out to check fuel pressure and oil pressure tonight.
The ses light has only came on when the icp sensor was unplugged and went out when plugged back in
Thanks everyone
Justin

Last edited by wildchild; 02-10-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention ses light
Old 02-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
If the 30A fuel heater (and other stuff) fuse blew, then you probably have a short in the fuel heater. I am not sure if it is related to the other problem, but you may want to unplug the fuel heater from the fuel bowl till you get it fixed, replaced, or deleted.
the fuel bowl heater you said possibly delete would that be a good option even if you worked nation wide? If so is there a kit or do you mean just leave unplugged ?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Had a mechanic come by no codes exeption the ones I caused myself.
Had to pull plug on icp sensor to get it started.
Changed out the cps again.
He didn't bring guages to check oil and fuel pressures.
Truck seems to run fine intermitantly.
Sometimes it starts easy sometimes not.
The only thing we could find is oil seeping through icp sensor.
Dried icp plug restarted truck plug became wetter with oil
he said the only thing he could figure is the new icp sensor is bad because of it seeping oil out the top.
I will be taking icp back to ford tommorow for an exchange .

Hope that's all it is
thanks
Justin
Old 02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
International Threat

Yes, if the ICP sensor is seeping oil then it is not good.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM

update!!!!!!

sorry it took so long but i had to leave town for work
had to have my truck towed to a dealer they say they have worked on it for thee days and still dont know whats wrong feul pressure is good
oil pressure is good and they are telling me that they think all 8 injectors are bad (quote) gaulded ??? and they want to charge me $4500 to replace all 8 injectors but cant guarentee that will work and $400 for a compression check
and i may need a new motor for $10000 dollars

i already owe $300 for nothing

thanks
justin
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
first, run from the dealer, get ahold of a Scanner ie:autoengunity
Log the results while cranking and post em up!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM

i had it on a scanner for two hours last week no codes everything looked normal unless i unplugged a sensor and caused a code truck would not mess up while i had a mechanic at my house he had a snap on machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.