Still broke need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Still broke need advice

Ok I posted a couple of days ago I tried installing a TS tuner and it fried my PCM. I oredered a used replacement one and it came today. I decided to out into the 15 deg weather to install it. I hooked up everything reconected the batteries turned the key and nothing(no crank). With the old PCM there was no "wait to start light" and "serv engine light" stayed on. Well now everything looks good and it just wont crank. I tried jumping it because maybe with the cold weather and not being started for 4 days maybe they were low. It did they same thing not even try to crank. I pulled both batteries and they are charging now so if you can think of anything I would appreciate the help. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Hate to ask, but did you wiggle the shifter to make sure it was all the way in park?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

when you tried to start it, did you hear the relay clicking under the hood? I would imagine if the CEL and WTS light came on, it had enough juice to click the relay, just not enought juice to turn the starter.

if it is the relay, it is a easy fix, 3 wires, and 2 screws, and it looks like stock GPR, just on the fender.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

I should of posted it is a 1999 7.3 ZF6. As for the relay I heard nothing it was like the clutch was not pushed in. Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

clutch switch bad? If that is the case, put the parking brake on, MAKE SURE it is nutral, turn your key to run. Now pop the hood, and goto the relay, there is a little wire coming off the relay, take it off, and put a screw driver from the hot side terinal to the small wire terminal. This should engauge the starter and start the truck. If it starts, you then can eliminate the relay and starter as the problems. be casefull, do not want you to get hurt, but there is my "hillbilly" start. It is great when you are trying to troubleshoot a no start problem, so you do not have to run to the cab every time!

where are you at Armymp15? PS. Thanks for serving in the army for us non hackers!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

I am charging the batteries again because I took them to Auto Zone and one tested good never dropped below 12 and the other one dropped down to 10 so we are charging it and going to test again. As soon as I get them back I will jump the solenoid I have done it several times before. I will let you know how it turns out. Where is the clutch sensor located? As for my location I am on the IN/IL border in a town called Vincennes, IN. I have been in the Army for about 9 years and most of it Reserve time with 3 deployments. I actually just got back from Iraq like a month ago. I appreciate everyones suggestions and look forward to spending alot of time on here even when my truck is running. Thanks again
Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

the clutch switch is by the clutch petal. it is towards the up of it, and when it is pressed to the floor, it will close the switch, and let you start the truck. I no longer have a manual, so I can not get a pic.... It might be kinda hidden and and hard to see but i am sure you can find it.

You are a bit far for me to head over to help..... there is a few army guard bases close to me, and WPAFB is close too, and they have a lot of Army personal too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.