Definate Emergency... Please HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Definate Emergency... Please HELP!

The truck is an '02 F-250 with the gas 5.4...

Out of no where all of the electrical/lights start to fade. The truck sputters and then dies. Will not restart.

I towed it, replaced the Alternator and it has a brand new battery and negative terminal. Truck starts up and drives for about 30 minutes and then the same thing happens again. Im about to check all of the fuses in a minute.

Can someone please explain why its acting as though the alternator isnt charging? I can jump start it but it wont run for long even with the other vehicle stick connected by jumpers. I'm at a loss here and I need this truck for work bright in the AM for work. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bad voltage regulator? Bad batt cable somewhere not on the battery. Bad cable from the alternator?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Will it crank at all after it dies or are the batteries drained? If it still cranks, I would suspect bad fuel pump, getting hot and failing.

If the batteries are drained I don't know.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Once it dies, the battery is drained. The starter just clicks rapidly bc the battery is totally dead. Im about to check the positive cable to alternator. Think maybe the new alternator is junk? Idk. This thing's about to give me an ulcer
Old 02-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahl View Post
Think maybe the new alternator is junk?
That would be the more likely scenario, if you purchased the "new" alternator from anywhere else other than your nearest local Ford dealer. Have you checked system voltage with a DVOM as your engine is running at idle, and when engine RPM is elevated?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Better yet, have you voltage drop tested all the main battery positive cable connections? How about all your grounds?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can't get it to stay running long enough to check voltage. It's been in my gut that the alternator is junk from the git go. Now Autozone is closed here. Grrrrr!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahl View Post
Now Autozone is closed here. Grrrrr!
This is why it is more worthwhile for you to get yourself a Ford/Motorcraft alternator and/or battery. You will pay more, but much less likely get bad parts, which if you do, you have a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty.

Back to the topic at hand, you do have all your positive and negative cable connections tight and free of "green death" right?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you can get it running long enough to jump out and remove one of the battery cables that will tell you if the alternator is junk or not... if it stays running, the alternator is supplying the power/working, if it dies immediately, the vehicle is battery dependent and the alternator is crap.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm thinking it may be the positve to alternator. The cable's lookin pretty rough. Im gonna run and grab another and see what's up. Also, what is the positive cable running from the battery over the topside of the radiator to the drivers fender well. it looks as though someone tapped into it over on the driver's side. This may have nothing to do with my issues but while I'm at it I would love to eliminate any further possibities of a short, etc.

m-chan68... thank you very much for your quick responses. I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.