1999 7.3 rear main leak, I think. Need help ASAP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 7.3 rear main leak, I think. Need help ASAP

Hey all. I have a 1999 F250 4x4 7.3 TD with an auto trans & 160K miles. I browsed some topics through the search function but didn't find the answers I was looking for. I have had a slight engine oil leak at the rear of the engine coming from what I thought was the RH valve cover gasket, for a few weeks now. Just a drop here & there. This morning I had a large puddle under the truck. The RH rear of the engine is somewhat wet, the RH valve cover is wet front to back (not all that fresh looking though), & oil is now pouring out from the trans inspection cover under the torque converter. 15 minutes = a 12" puddle. I have a bud who owns a general repair shop take a look at it today & he stated it's not the valve cover, but the rear main or "the large plug on the rear of the RH head with an internal hex". Long story short, this is my work truck (mobile welding rig) & I have a huge structural job starting Monday which I have to have it up & running for. What tips can you give me in tackling this myself? Is there anything else I should do while the trans is out as preventative maintenance? Are there any special tools I need? I've pulled many transmissions in the past, but a little nervous about this one, being a novice. I can turn/mill/fab/weld just about any tool I may need within reason for the short amount of time I have to complete this task. Please throw me some suggestions to aid in my efficiency this weekend. I would rather drop it off & have it done @ a repair shop, but on such short notice, nobody can get to it in time. Unless there is a Ford tech in Sacramento that wants a side job this weekend. Thanks, Bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

The large internal hex plug is a plug for your high pressure oil rail, I belive that they have an O-ring to seal them that ford sells and is not that expensive, someone correct me if i'm wrong. If thats what is leaking then it won't require you to remove the transmission. Prity straight forward, but the uppipe might be in the way, so It may be difficult.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 PM

OK, I did a Google search & found a few things such as oil pump seals & turbo pedestal seals to be more common problems than rear mains. I'll keep my fingers crossed that is the issue. I read somewhere that there a "weep hole" in the valley cover that allows oil to drain directly into the bellhousing & may appear to be a rear main seal issue? Can anyone confirm this please? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 AM

Drove it to work this morning & checked it when I stopped. Gushing oil & front top of the engine (near oil pump/fuel filter is soaked & lots of oil on valley cover. Prolly the oil pump seals? Looks mostly dry under turbo.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sounds like the high pressure oil line orings under the base of the fuel filter housing where the oil lines connect to the HP oil pump or the engine block . Blew 2 sets of them on my way to the Carolinas this past summer, need I say they really make a mess... Anyhow you can pick up a kit at your local Ford stealer. The part number is 2C3Z-9G804-AB. I keep an extra set in my truck now because I have blown 3 sets in the last 2 years.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Black&Gold Send a message via Skype™ to Black&Gold
had the same thing happen to me... i thought it was the rear main seal but ended up being the HPOP O-rings, thank god! it only cost me around $10, and 30 minutes of my time good luck.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:58 AM

So it was the oil line fitting seals! WOOHOO! I got to sleep in this morning instead of bathing in tranny fluid! I steamed the engine yesterday & had a friend fire it up. In about 3 seconds, it dropped about 1/2 oz of oil. I went to the dealer & picked up the fittings. The parts guy was super cool & gave me wholesale pricing just because. I asked a service advisor if he could give me some pointers on replacing these & he had a tech come up from the shop who showed me exactly how. He even let me borrow his quick disconnect tool. First class customer service. All is well & the truck isn't puking oil anymore! Thanks for the help fellas! It's gonna be a good weekend afterall. Bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.