2000 7.3 Ford Ambulance smoking and no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 Ford Ambulance smoking and no power

Hi,

My name is Marcelo Tassara and I'm from Chile. I'm having the following problem with my powerstroke:

About a month, the ambulance was working with no troubles but suddenly the engine went dead. We found that the external electric fuel pump was not working due to no voltage at the wires (we test the pump outside and ran ok) This pump is located near the diesel tank on the outside (p/n: 9C407). As I had no idea about where was located the relay that controls the pump (assuming it was not working) we made a direct connection to the battery and the problem was solved. It rans for about a month and one day the engines stalls with no power, you were able to stand on the gas pedal but it wont run more than 10mph and the engine wont rev up. Also it started smoking like an old steam train (black/gray smoke).

No codes showing at the ford dealer, the told me that they have tried everything, even reprograming the ECU and nothing. Today I've tried disconnecting what I think is the MAP sensor (located on the engine bay up at the left, a small box with a hose and a connector) and it went a lot better but still smoking) Also we found that there's a heavy oil leak from just one of the sides of the TURBO pipes that runs from the exhaust to the turbo.

Please, I NEED HELP with this matter as the ambulance MUST return back to service.

Marcelo Tassara

Last edited by tasscorp; 04-05-2007 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Fishing Fanatic

Maybe the turbo went south (toasted) I know I just replaced mine, and it was smoking, and I had an oil leak next to the pedestal and in all my intercooler pipes also. Maybe your turbo finally said good bye?? What motor do you have??
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the prompt reply. This is a 2000 E-350 7.3 powerstroke. I was thinking about the chance of a blown seal inside the turbo that was allowing the oil pressure to go into the exhaust pipes but the smoke is gray not blue and what really keeps me hanging is the fact that the engine wont rev up, also that is working like it has 6 cylinders working (not 8 I mean).

Any way thanks for your help, I'll start from the turbo...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Fishing Fanatic

Is the turbo building any boost?? Clogged fuel filter?? I wish I could help you more.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I suggest finding the oil leak first. As that may point you to your power problem. Also I suggest an injector contribution test, injector buzz test, check the cps on the engine as well. I would be checking the fuel pressure as well to make sure it is with in the specs of the manufacturer. Check the oil, change the oil. Dirty oil can cause crazy things to happen. You need to check all the systems on the engine to make sure that they are workign properly. If you can get ahold of a diagnostic computer for this truck and run all the diagnostic tests you can to check the systems out. Keep us informed with more info and we can help you further along.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have just started it with out th internal panel so I can have acceso to engine bay and when reving it up the turbo does not seems to be blowing or at least working like I SUPPOSE it shoud be with some blowing noise.... Thanks for your help
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Fishing Fanatic

Turbo really won't work until it is under load i.e. driving. Then it will build boost. Hope that helps some.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I have done the following:

Oil is new
Fuel filter is new
The Ford dealer use the obd2 scanner with no results only an alternator code but I assume that is because it is not the original.
The leak is coming from the base of the turbo and from one of the couplings that are on the "Y" that holds the exhaust pipes
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kefier2001 View Post
Turbo really won't work until it is under load i.e. driving. Then it will build boost. Hope that helps some.

That is true all though if you rev out the engine you can get about 5 pounds of boost. But this is not good for the engine or the turbo.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 AM
Fishing Fanatic

Can you get access to the impeller wheel. I would try seeing if the turbo intake impeller wheel has any play in it (up, down, in and out) ONLY DO THIS WHEN IT IS COOL!! If you are getting play in the shaft that holds on the impeller, that is BAD. Also see if it spins freely. My turbo just went out, and I had oil in tubes, and oil leak as I said. Hope that isn't your problem, BUT I would check into that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.