2000 Powerstroke Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2000 Powerstroke Won't Start

Hey guys, new here, anyways, I'll be brief. My 2 week old to me 2000 Powerstoke is dead in the parking lot. 97K miles on it. Has a 2 week old fuel filter, air and oil filters. Today, I hop in to start it, and notice that there is no wait to start light coming on. And it doesn't start. Cranks and cranks and cranks and etc... It was 40* out. Tach wasn't moving, so I figured it was the CPS. $160 later, a new CPS hasn't fixed my problem. Any suggestions? I've heard it could be a dead battery, a fried glowplug relay or fuse, or a melted harness inside a valve cover??? I'm new to diesels, and I've got a hot date on Friday night and am pretty much SOL without my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 06:07 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Hey guys, new here, anyways, I'll be brief. My 2 week old to me 2000 Powerstoke is dead in the parking lot. 97K miles on it. Has a 2 week old fuel filter, air and oil filters. Today, I hop in to start it, and notice that there is no wait to start light coming on. And it doesn't start. Cranks and cranks and cranks and etc... It was 40* out. Tach wasn't moving, so I figured it was the CPS. $160 later, a new CPS hasn't fixed my problem. Any suggestions? I've heard it could be a dead battery, a fried glowplug relay or fuse, or a melted harness inside a valve cover??? I'm new to diesels, and I've got a hot date on Friday night and am pretty much SOL without my truck.

If I was a betting man I would be replacing the glowplug relay. But not until I tested it. What you need is a multimeter, turn the key on and check the voltage at the glowplug relay. You should have 12 volts going in on one of the big post, and 12 volts going out on the oher big big post, Also you should have 12 volts with the key on at the little post. If you do not have anything close to that the relay is bad replace with new one. Also I hope you did not throw away that old cps. As it is most likely good and you can throw it in the glovebox so you have an extra.

Also check the battery voltage you need at least 10.5 volts during cranking in order to start he truck. The truck will crank at 10 volts but the pcm will not function unless you have a minimum of 10.5 volts. Another thing to check is the fuel filter housing heater element. But since you said that glow plug wait light did not come one I am thinking it is the relay. Good luck and if you need more assistance please fill us in on whats going on.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:55 AM

The old CPS is sitting in my toolbox, of course I'm saving it. I'll go test the relay(s?) here in a minute. It looks like theres two of em over there. I'm guessing that one of them for the starter? I've been hearing that it also could be a heater in the fuel bowl and could be blowing a fuse....?
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The Glow plug relay is the furthest back one behind the fuel filter bowl the front one is the intake air heater relay
Old 04-05-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer1014 View Post
The Glow plug relay is the furthest back one behind the fuel filter bowl the front one is the intake air heater relay
Thanks... I'll be checking all of the fuses and the relays after lunch.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

it is not the glow plug relay , if you dont have a wait to start light means the fuse to the pcm is blown probably because the fuel heater is shorted ,need to check the fuse for the heater ,dont have to have the heater ,just unplug it replace the fuse and the truck should start , the connector for the heater is a white connector on the back side of the fuel filter housing
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
it is not the glow plug relay , if you dont have a wait to start light means the fuse to the pcm is blown probably because the fuel heater is shorted ,need to check the fuse for the heater ,dont have to have the heater ,just unplug it replace the fuse and the truck should start , the connector for the heater is a white connector on the back side of the fuel filter housing
Did not see the no wait to start light when i read it the first time
Old 04-05-2007, 09:08 AM

What fuse is this and where is it located? How big (mini, maxi pad, etc)? Thanks a TON guys!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Its in the fuse panel under the dash 30 amp fuse location 30
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 2002 glow plug relay tests bad. How much should one hurt my wallet?

Last edited by cornelius; 04-05-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.