1999 f-550 wrecker having big motor problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 f-550 wrecker having big motor problems

ok here it goes i bought this truck last year this time when i got it from the dealer it had absolutely no power he told me that the injector pump was just replaced and that he is not sure what the problem was i went and got a siperchips power programmer and that woke it up but over the past year i have come to the rapid realizeation that i just coverd up the problem with the programmer. now as of right now if it is bellow 50 degrees outside it will not start without ether in the intake once its warm it will start fine. i replaced the uvc harmesses about 6 months ago on both sides had absolutely no change there are no codes popping up on the computer and has a brandd new fuel filter when i drive it when its nbot fully warmd up it feels like it runs out of fuel and i ahve to take my foot of the pedal to wait for something to happen and then it works now a new up date it wont go over 60 apparently whatever the problem was a year ago just keeps geting worse i took the programmer out and the truck wont go over 30 as a matter of fact you have to start off in low to get moving from a light please help this is also a bread and butter truck of mine and im going crazy i need this piece fixed oh it weights about 13,000 empty and its 4x4 and quad cab if thats makes any difference any help would grately be appreciated with this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like you have a fuel problem. You need to check fuel pressure, you may have a blocked pickup tube in the tank. And do not use ether anymore!!!!!!!!! if you need to use something use wd-40.
Have you checked glow plugs? or the glow plug relay?
Does it smoke heavily when you get it started?
Look at the turbo compressor wheel is it all chewed up?? Is there dirt in the intake??
Old 04-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 03 E-550 so I know what it is to be hauling that much weight empty. Not sure whay your prob might be, but just a thought...make sure your oil is FULL and if you can, check your HPOP resvouior(sp). Not starting when its cold could be glow plugs or the relay..check for a loose connection on the relay. After that, I'd have to say have the dealer...scratch that..have a reputable shop do a dead-head test on the HPOP. If that checks out...do a fuel pressure test. I was having MAJOR probs with mine, as many here will attest. Turned out to be sediment in the fuel tank plugging up the pickup tube, which seems to be common. I'm no expert here but many on here are and believe me, they are a world of help. Someone will be along shortly I'm sure to help ya out of your jam....And welcome to Powerstroke.org.
Howard
Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 AM

Dayum! see...told ya someone would be by shortly..lol
Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hmmm

yea i have a MAC cold air intake on the truck which i just cleaned the filter the turbo wheel is fine and i dont know where the hpop res is i dont even know what an hpop is im a gas guy or a CAT guy LOL i know absolutely nothing about the small diesels it definately sounds like a fuel problem i jsut dont know where to go with that if it was a gas motor it would say that the float bowls are set to low if that helps anyone out with how the syumptoms are thank you for the posts already you guys are great anymore info please post it memorial day is coming quick and that my busy season were a shore attraction town so i get my but kicked during the summer
Old 04-03-2007, 05:42 AM

I would start with the fuel pressure test. mine would run like schyt, couple of time couldn't produce enough power to turn the wheels over. Fuel pressure would drop to zero..go figure..lol. would almost bet hard cash thats your problem. Scott told me that sediment in the fuel tank is very common and will do cause EXACTLY the same kind of problem you're having. Hope ya get er fixed real soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey not to sound stupid but how do you do a fuel pressure test on these trucks
Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

you can use this to hook a fuel pressure guage to. You will need to check fuel pressure at idle, at around 2000 rpm's then again while driving at wide open throttle. You should not see much change in the fuel pressure. You should see around 55 psi. If you lose pressure under wide open throttle it is most likely a plugged pickup tube in the tank.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so here is an update did a cylinder contribution test on the motor and it returned that cyl 3 is not balanced or not contributing and did a pulse test and that came back fine i did however pull a code that came up[ stated p0650 internal control module rom fault anyone know waht the hell that means LOL
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Powerstroke Techie

P0650 is from your chip don't worry about that one. Cylinder #3 failing the contribution test could be, failed injector, or low compression. If you can do the test again and make sure the same one fails again. Then if it where me I would do a compresion test just to make sure, then if that is good replace the injector. But you still need to check fuel pressure, 1 injector shouldn't keep it from getting up to speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.