my 99 wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my 99 wont start

The truck has been running fine and I came out this morning to go to work and the truck just cranks and puts out white smoke. I have 138K on it and an edge evolution tuner set on the lowest setting, I am new to this, can anyone offer some advise? I just checked for codes and my edge scanner said code 0720 insufficient input from output shaft. after I cleared this code the pickup started right up????????

Last edited by rockyridge; 04-01-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like the CPS to me, has it been replaced that you know of?, probably wouldn't hurt to carry a spare with you.

Gord.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Sounds more like a glow plug/ glow plug relay issue.

White smoke when cold starting means you're getting fuel, but not enough heat to light the motor off.

Your glow plug relay is the rear relay on the pass side of the engine block, beside the fuel filter housing, in all likelyhood, if that relay has never been replaced, it needs to be replaced now, as the glow plugs themselves have a pretty good reliability record going for them. GPR 109 at Napa (little$) will work, but it is not for our trucks technically and sits 90 degrees in the bracket from what the ford relay sits, so the wires have to be massaged slightly to fit, but it's only about $25. Ford part is about $120 i think?

How cold was the temp that day?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

One of the guys got the cheap one and had a problem with it, turns out they are not as sturdy as the original, he disassembled both to see the differences between them, and found that the quality, wire size and connections were very much inferior to the original. There was a thread on it awhile back, If I can find it, I'll post a link to it.

Gord.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via MSN to ~CrazyDiesel~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~CrazyDiesel~
Talking

That may well be true, however, a lot of people, such as myself do not have the $$$ to dump on a part that may very well be good already, and you cannot return the part that you bought after it's used anyway.

Everyone I know, myself included has had good service with the GPR 109,(that have had the OEM part fail) it might be cheaply made, but the price reflects that, and the ford unit that is $100+ or however much it is, seems to fail just as often as the $25 one.

I'd much rather pay $25 twice in the lifetime of the truck than pay $100+ twice.

The GPR went out in our truck almost 3 years ago, and I replaced it with the GPR 109, and have not had a problem with it yet, granted now that I'm talking about the sucker, it'll go out tomorrow, haha..

Will I buy the ford part, or the other Napa one that's much more expensive? No I will not.

That being said, each person has their opinion, I have mine, you have yours, the person who tore one apart, he has proof they are made cheaper, (again i don't doubt this one iota, considering the price)

I suppose it's kinda akin to ceiling fans, which is what I do- I restore the antique ones. You have your vintage Hunter Original Ceiling fan that uses oil for lubrication, has ran for 80 years already, and will probably run for another 300 years.. this is our diesel engine.

You have your Home Depot special ceiling fan that costs you $250 because it looks "pretty" (although i'd argue that till my death..) Then you have your $30 Home Depot Special, costs much less, of course, and is really built the same, as the $250 fan, but might be noisy and not work as good as the $250 one, however, it gets the job done, and 5 years down the road it croaks, and you put another one up. The home depot fans, they all, use basically the same motor internals, same grade of bearings, etc.. No matter how much you pay, it's still going to last around the same amount of time, depending on what type of uses the item may or may not see.

This will apply to the GPRs also. If you live in florida, your GPR does not have to engage that long, and will see less use, and will last much, much longer than the same GPR in Maine for instance. In florida, you may never even know your GPR has gone out for that matter (that is until you happen to travel to maine, haha)

The GPR 109 will last long enough in my honest opinion, to justify paying the lesser price, also considering, that in the event it does fail, you just bridge the two big terminals for about 20 seconds and start the engine.

Also, if the GPR was a mission critical item... that could be hazardous if it failed for instance... if there was a cheap version of the CPS that cost only $25

I would not even consider recommending the cheap version of that, just because it is a mission critical part.

Take Care Man, Brian
Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Very well written Brian, sorry, when I responded to the last post I had just gotten in from 2 back to back rounders from Calgary and was very tired. I did not mean to knock the cheaper GPR, or to say don't use it, I was just passing on the info I had read on another thread so you would be aware of the differences between the two of them. I fully agree with you as far as the usability of the Napa part, and would probably use it myself if I needed one. There are many parts out there that are inferior in quality to the original parts, but that does not make them bad parts, and I don't have a problem with using them at all, as long as I know that they are not the same thing as the original part, and priced accordingly. Sorry for the misunderstanding Brian, I'll try to get some sleep before responding next time hahaha.

Gord.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Straycat,

Just to be clear, you didn't offend me one iota.

I had suspected in the past that the gpr 109 was a inferior product, mostly because of the price, however, mine has been working for going on 3 years, so I have no complaints about it.

Straycat, you take care bud, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.