96 7.3 Cranked ran then died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
96 7.3 Cranked ran then died

Hey guys. Kinda a newby when it comes to working on diesels. Im a mechanic by trade but on gassers. Dads 96 7.3 went down yesterday and i need help figuring it out. My mom was driving the truck and it started when she left the att store and as she was leaving went over a speed bump and it quit. Wheres a good place to start? I dont have any diag tools available to me right away just need a good starting point. Also for the past few months, we have noticed when downshifting or slowing down, the truck would kinda hiccup. It would shut off just for a half second the run fine. Any help would be appriciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would pull the valve covers off and check the wireing harness that goes to the injectors. some times it will just come unhooked.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright charged the batteries and the cps is ok. Spun the truck over and the rpm gauge moved. Seems like its not getting fuel. Any thoughts? What bout the ipc switch?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my guess is fuel, maybe fuel pump, best way to check is to empty your fuel bowl, yellow tab right behind the fuel bowl, then take off your water seperator/fuel filter, turn you key to the on position and then run back to see if the fuel bowl is filling as a responable rate, sorry dont know what it should be for the older 7.3s. if it is not filling very quickly or not at all i would bet its the fuel pump
Old 01-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cowboyboots. that process is a proper way to check the fuel pump. however on the obs trucks 97 and down theres a lift pump which is mechanically drivin off the cam in the block. so crank the truck to see if it pumps fuel into the housing. the 99sd and up have the electrical fuel pump which having the key on fills that up.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Emergency Services

if the pump is bad it will start leaking and it will struggle to fill the fuel bowl if at all,your fpr fuel pressure regulator may be bad or clogged up OR you may have a similar problem I did, I thought I was having fuel problems until i pulled the injectors and actually stuck a feeler down through the injector cups, there was coolant in the cylinders and in the oil, turns out my truck was dieing and runnin like crap cause it was drownding basically.might be a issue with yours, sounds crazy but drain your oil and check it out closely.If neither of those is the issue, U might take a look at either your fuel pick up in the tanks or the injection pressure , and possibly the HPOP from there
Old 01-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was having problems with my 99 last year and at first it started out as just hiccuping going down the road, almost like dying and restarting without me having to restart, then at other times it would die when I came up to a stop light and then I could restart it right away and then it got to the point it wouldn't even start. It did throw a check engine code when it did it, but the code would clear after a while. It ended up being the camshaft position sensor it it located down below the main pulley on the engine. I replaced it and it ended the problem. Also for my year truck, Ford ended up sending me a recall letter shortly after I replaced it.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sorry about that, i have not worked on many of the old 7.3L, just brakes, clutches, and a coupel of other things. hope you get it figured out
Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Emergency Services

UVC Harness

It's already been mentioned, but the speed bump and then quit makes me think an UVC harness shook loose.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Emergency Services

anything new on this yet???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.