Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 coolant leak

87K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  bljones2005 
#1 ·
When i park my truck i notice a puddle of coolant under the rear passengerside of the motor. It leaked about 1 gallon in the past 3 months. thats with 2000 miles put on it. Anyone have any idea what could be leaking? there is just over 80,000 on the truck. the only mods are a banks 6 gun and banks exhaust

#3 ·
Did you find the leak? I have a 2004 ford 6.0 PSD that has a coolant leak at right rear of engine and dripping off starter. it is NOT the EGR cooler hose.
replaced orange egr cooler hose with blue hose and the 2 o-rings on the coolant housing that the hose goes on. if you found yours it might be something for me to check.

#4 ·
Does someone have an answer to this? my truck is an 04 and doing the exact same thing and i need clarification on this because i dont want to get raped at the Ford dealer:doh:

#18 ·
just went through the same deal. if its leaking from the front then id make a safe bet that its your water pump. parts and labor cost me 225, but my mechanic gets me ford employee pricing on parts and really cheap labor.

#6 · (Edited)
Well I'm pretty sure no ford master techs are going to help you now, but as already stated, pressure testing of the cooling system is in order. if you think the h20 pump is leaking, it usually leaves a whitish trail or even a wet trail if currently dripping, on the lower radiator hose. the drip off the starter would prompt me to inspect the up pipe to ex manifold connection.this is where you will see coolant drip in the event of egr cooler failure. I'm just guessing without testing though, lol

#13 ·
I am glad that you posted this part # the moron behind the counter at my ford dealer said that you cant buy the hose seperate from the gasket set

#14 ·
ok so I went out to try to replace the hose and how in the world are you supposed to get under the turbo pedistal w/o removing it to get to the back side of the hose? I have a 03 f350

#20 ·
Little orange hose

My leak was the little orange hose that feeds the EGR cooler (I think). Hasn't leaked since and its been a year. The new one is blue. Look on the passenger side kinda under the turbo. If your hose is orange replace it. Expensive little bugger... I didn't remove my pedestal, but I did yell a lot while doing it. Had to cut a Torx bit down if I remember right.

#22 ·
mystery leak or what?

Ok you guys here is the situation,earlier diagnosis as per this thread orange hose leaking,however when block heater plugged in,no leak ,summertime no leaks starts to get cooler outside leak shows up. Is this the possible signs of future head gasket problems due to those famous torque to yield bolts yielding?03 6.0 2002 build, egr blocked,coolant filter,edge insight,running SRL.So can someone tell me the worst isn't so!!!

#23 ·
Mine has the same leak same spot ive looked everywhere cant find leak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.