Start for sec then die.. *read* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Smoke Eater

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
Start for sec then die.. *read*

i need some help here folks... here are the symptoms... when engine is cold.. itll fire run for a second(literally) then die after i do this a few times it will stay runnin.

now i dunno if this has anything to do with it but it got cold last night (20 degreees) and i forgot to turn on the block heater. also the batteries were dead when i tried to start it so ive replaced both batteries today. I will also add when i jumped it off today i was crankin on it hard before it started. Im stumped any ideas?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you had the truck scanned for codes yet? If so, what codes were retrieved? What is the ambient temperature where you are located?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Smoke Eater

not scanned yet.... it was around 25* when i tried to start it this morning...and after i finally got it started.... it ran fine... went in town ran a few errands ran fine....stopped at a place for a about an hour and a half came out and it would crank fine start then just die. after about four times it finally fired and ran like a champ. when i got home i turned it off and restarted it about 5 times.. each time it fired right up...

*update* i just went out and tried to start it and it fired right up. its been sittin for about 3 hours with the block heater on.. the temp right now is around 22*
Old 12-29-2009, 02:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

How long since you changed the oil. I had a friend that didn't change his oil until the truck wouldn't start. Needless to say his truck didn't last long. Also check the oil level.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 AM
Smoke Eater

oil was changed 2 days ago....
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

sounds like the HPOP is going bad. But you need to scan for codes before we condem the HPOP.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Smoke Eater

*update*... it sat all night. and all day today.... after tryin for about 10 mins of crank-fire-die..... it finally fired and stayed running..... takin it to the dealership in the morning.....
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd
did you have it plugged in? it's gotta be cold there. How many time do you cycle the key before you try to start it or how long do you wait to crank. When it gets cold out I wait about 30 sec. before I crank the motor reguardless of the wait to start light.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Smoke Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post
did you have it plugged in? it's gotta be cold there. How many time do you cycle the key before you try to start it or how long do you wait to crank. When it gets cold out I wait about 30 sec. before I crank the motor reguardless of the wait to start light.

yes it was plugged in...and i wait until i hear the "injectors stop cycling" and the glow plug light is out. temps have been steadily in the 20's here.

om a side note.. with it plugged in what should my oil temp and coolant temp read when i go to start it... the oil almost always reads close to ambient temp myabe a lil warmer and my coolant always reads around 140..... this is on my bullydog outlook monitor of course
Old 01-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Smoke Eater

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok well i kinda have it pin pointed and i hope my descriptions will make it easier for those more smarter than i...

Symptoms: truck will turn over fire then die repeatedly before finally firing and running as if nothing is wrong. this has been going on for a week. this is only when the truck is cold.. if it is warm it will start right back up.

Now here is where i think i have pinpointed the problem.. just not sure what it is. when i go to start the truck you get the usual injectors cycling as well as a louder hum(not every time) and a lower toned hum as well. I have noticed every time when i try and start it.. if i dont here the "quieter" or lower toned hum it will not fire but as soon as i hear it it will fire.

My question is what is the "quieter hum" that turns on when you go to start the truck?

Any and all help is beyong greatly appreciated....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.